- advertisement -

Medical Assistance

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by zell828, Sep 28, 2009.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Any of you have your kids on MA? We are thinking of switching my SD to that since her Mom is unemployed, single and it's just the 2 of them. She would more than qualify. I'm curious if MA covers most out of pocket expenses compared to regular family insurance plans. Do you think it would be worth it to us to keep her yet on our policy as well and then just use both? Will MA let us do that? What about APlus? Would they go through APlus do you think? Maybe we would not even need APlus too if we had MA.

Lots of questions, I know :eek:

2. Toni

Toni Banned

I think her father should keep her on his insurance, but only if he has good insurance. I don't think the state plans are as comprehensive as some private insurance. Depends on what both plans offer. In other words, seek out the best deal and best coverage for you DD.

3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

That's why I wondered if we should keep both in place for her. I think we will still do that if we can. Then use our family plan as the primary insurance and whatever isn't covered then submit to MA.

I'm wondering if anyone else does anything like this?

4. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Joey is on MA because his bio dad doesnt pay any support and never had due to being an alkie/junkie who cant keep his butt out of jail. Sorry too much info, I know. :eek: Anyway, MA covers everything for Joey, thank God cause I dont know how we'd do it otherwise. When he was first dxed, I had all his prescriptions filled before we left the hospital. I sat down and added it all up. Strips, lancets, needles, bottles of insulin cause we didnt know about the pens yet, 2 diff kinds of insulin, glucagon, 3 meters....I stopped counting at $700 and that was 1 months worth!

Maybe call the assistance office in your state and ask what your options are. Sorry I couldnt be more help.

5. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

You should definately look into both. If I recall correctly, the state programs for kids with chronic conditions - not general insurance for kids/Medicare - is supplementary. The application asks if the kid can get insurance elsewhere and the assumption is that you will get the insurance and then the chronic condition insurance kicks in to cover all the expenses the other insurance doesn't. Does this make sense? I think that most private/employer based health insurance does not cover all diabetes costs completely - there are co-pays and deductibles and limits. But all states have the supplementary plan available.

6. zell828

zell828 Approved members

So in other words, if we keep the private insurance in place and use them as the primary insurance, anything that private insurance doesn't cover we can then just send to MA and they will cover the rest? Is that what you mean?

That is what we wanted to do and I was wondering if MA cared if we kept private insurance in place as well. By what you say, they probably don't. I guess it helps them if private insurance is involved anyway so they don't pay as much.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009