- advertisement -

Medical Alert bracelets

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by MrsBadshoe, Mar 9, 2012.

1. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

What do you put on them?

Connor is headed to College and I want to get him something nicer that I can hopefully guarantee he will wear all the time.

Should it just say "Diabetic" or "Type 1 Diabetic"

Do you as adults put any other information on the ID itself.

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I kind of don't like the label "Diabetic" so my daughter's bracelets say "Type 1 Diabetes". Also I put on hers "Insulin pump" and my cellphone number. My SIL recently asked about our bracelets as well and I told her to think about the term "epileptic" and consider whether she wanted to say my neice is a child with Epilepsy or is she an epileptic? Its a minor point, but bugs me enough to be specific on her bracelets.

My DD hasn't left for college yet, but I still think I'd prefer my phone number is on there. I'd like to know quickly if there was ever a serious enough reason to be looking at her medical alert. I'll probably put it on there until she insists I don't.:eek:

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I think Kaylee's has 'type 1 diabetes' and 'insulin pump' as well as our ICE number.

4. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

We use the RoadIDs for our bracelets. It has their name, Type 1 Diabetes, Insulin pump, dr name & hospital, our cell number.

5. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

Mine has just diabetes, I got mine before there were so many more type 2's.
    I also have my blood type.
    I'm allergic to several drugs, so I have those listed.
    When I wore contacts, I had that listed.

My cousin, who had been paramedic, told me if you have a medic alert bracelet, necklace watch in several of the US states, they are allowed to go through your wallet to check for the wallet card. That is where I have the type of insulin I use, plus all my food allergies, because I have too many to list on my bracelet.

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Name
    Type one diabetic

That's all that could ft on mine.... I don't care that it says diabetic.. its just a word to describe people with diabetes... it means what you make it mean...

7. mylemonadelife

mylemonadelife Approved members

Most of mine simply say diabetic or type 1 diabetes. I have two that are specially engraved.
    Front:
    Type 1 Diabetes
    Insulin Pump
    Asthma
    Back: Name

8. Tiera20

Tiera20 Approved members

9. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Spencer didn't want his name on the front...it's just the medical symbol on the front... It's a stainless steel, manly (he's 14 and is 5'11")

the back:

Type 1 Diabetes
    Insulin Dependent
    Check Blood Sugar
    ICE #

10. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

It has Diabetes, external insulin pump

I have the Medic Alert bracelet so it has the 1-800 # to call for further info - and it really does work - I have used the numebr several times in my career as a nurse to obtain more info on a patient who couldn't speak for themselves - contact info, allergies, and other pertinent history. Peace of mind for me to know that a medical professional can get in touch with my family, doctors, etc by getting the contact information.

I have a teal colored stainless bracelet for everyday wear and abuse ($10 and I have had it for 2 years now without breakage), and a sterling silver plate one for dressy wear.

11. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Thanks for all the advice.

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son's bracelet says Insulin Dependent Diabetes.

13. morningstar

morningstar Approved members

I hate Medic Alerts with a passion.
    I use RoadID, which can be used for anyone, health issues or not. I have my name and year of birth (that was recommended), and use an online service rather than have "Diabetic" all over it. People either go online or ring for info on conditions/allergies/meds.
    I have added all sorts of stuff like what to do with my insulin pump if I'm unconscious, my blood group, and the insulin I would use if my pump gets run over by a train/elephant etc.