- advertisement -

Medicaid?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momto4gr8kids, Dec 30, 2015.

1. momto4gr8kids

momto4gr8kids Approved members

I have seen several people on here mention Medicaid/state programs. I have a couple questions about that...

We have a son with some special needs, he is currently on Medicaid that is secondary to our regular insurance. Is there a way to do that for our daughter with diabetes? Is it strictly income based? It is based on my son's medical needs, I wasn't sure if diabetes qualifies the same way. The cost of everything is going up because we were switched to a new plan through my husband's work. We also have not gotten a CGM/pump because of out of pocket costs - getting a better night's sleep and better control of her numbers would really be helpful.

Thanks!

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We qualified based on income, so I'm not sure about the diabetes being a qualifier. I would suggest calling your local county health office.

3. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

We qualified for ds when he was diagnosed, otherwise we wouldn't qualify due to income being too high. However, if any child in PA is without insurance they can be covered by CHIP, which is free or lower cost, depending on income. We would qualify for the free without dh's over time. You would have to contact your state to find out the details. Even though my D son is the only one medicaid, all three of my boys qualify for free lunches and breakfasts at school. Another program that PA has is the HIPP (health insurance payment program). It is cheaper for them to purchase part of our insurance through dh's work (we get a check in the mail every month) than for him to be on a state insurance program, so we only use his Access card instead of having a state insurance as our secondary.