- advertisement -

Meals That Just Work....

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by sszyszkiewicz, Jul 4, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Taco Bell Doritos Locos tacos. Cool ranch taco shell. 39 carbs.

The particular blend of carbs, protein and fat in that meal just fits the insulin action almost perfectly in my DS. Now with the Dex I can say with certainty that I see no spike. I see no drop. I see a straight line for 2 hours now. Its almost like he didn't eat anything.

So do you have a meal that 'just works" without a lot of work/guessing/adjustments/hassle?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

After nearly 12 years ? NO! :(

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Eggs and bacon - if we bolus 10-15g is pretty flat, but like Jane, after 12 years there is no perfect meal. Enjoy it while you have it.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I know that fast food is problematic for people, but it's the easiest meal ever in this house. Any meal they eat at McDonald's that includes fries is beautiful to watch on the Dexcom. Doesn't matter if it's paired with a grilled chicken wrap, a bacon cheeseburger, nuggets, anything. Those fries just make every other food work. Both kids, too. I had always loved it for DD and figured I was just lucky but DS's diabetes came along and it works for him, too. And it's only McDonald's - not Wendy's, not Burger King, not Dairy Queen. I heart McDonald's fries!

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

So nice to hear that other parents feed their T1D child fast food on occasion. I was afraid that this was a crime punishable by excommunication from this Forum.

So here's my confession: I let my daughter have "The Usual" from Taco Hell up to about four times a month. "The Usual" consists of a Beefy 5-layer Burrito, a side of Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes (sans sour cream), and for dessert, 4 Cinnabon Delights. Not quite perfect, but after an extended bolus, she's still alive.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Packaged cans of soup with nice carb labels if I eat the whole thing. No guess work.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Fluffernutter works like magic.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Fluffernutter ???

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Jane, it's a New England thing. Marshmallow "fluff" and peanut butter. It's a ooey gooey marshmallow substance. Great for filling in cracks in the wall:welcoming:
    http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/the-fluffernutter/

10. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

...and meals that DON'T. 4 chocolate chip eggo waffles and eggs 65g carbs

Spiked him to 300 two days in a row, and STUCK there for a couple of hours, even with a correction. It's like he never had any insulin at all !

11. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Funny, my kids love frozen breakfast (as we call it) and eat it quite often. My t1 daughter barely spikes from any of it.

12. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

My kids both eat frozen mini pancakes for breakfast in the morning. And they eat when they are still frozen with nothing on them. I think they are weirdos but it makes getting them breakfast so easy for me!

I don't think they have a huge effect on my daughters numbers but we don't have a cgm so i don't know about spikes.

13. lohmggcjr

lohmggcjr Approved members

We just recently had donuts from dunkin donuts. We have not had any type of donut since dx almost 2 years ago. We bought some as a dessert one night last week. I was waiting for the high, and it never came! I thought it was a fluke and she had another for breakfast. The same thing, waited for the high...and it never came :) I was totally surprised.

14. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We don't eat fast food except Rubio's and Chipotle. In fact, we might need a 12 step program for going to these places waaaaay to often. I've got the Rubio's meal bolus dialed in for DD perfectly. She has a kid's quesadilla meal with black beans and rice. 88 g 50/50 combo bolus for 2 hours. Sadly, Chipotle is much tougher. I am not sure what is in the rice or beans or quesadilla there, but it can cause crazy numbers hours and hours later. Temp basals are our friend when we eat there.

At home soups are great on the bg, homemade or in a can from Trader Joes. Tomatoes from the garden with basil and mozzarella cheese are both yummy and easy on the bg. Pizza made on whole wheat lavash bread has been good this summer. It's trial and error for most meals, we do our best to count carbs, bolus, correct if necessary and move on. :cwds: