- advertisement -

Meal plans

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

The first year we purchased the unlimited meal plan with the dorm food. This year our son opted for partial meal plan, partial declining balance and he has a kitchen in his dorm apartment. He does not have a car so going to the grocery store involved taking a bus and carrying things back.

What are your children doing re meal plans?

2. PattyR

PattyR Approved members

The semester my daughter was dx, she was on a meal plan. She visited the dietician's office at her university right away to ask about help with the carb contents of the meals. She said she felt like she had made the dietician's day - she told my daughter how much she loved feeling so useful and how she she felt like being able to help her was what her education had prepared her to do. She was a wealth of information food-wise.

The next semester, she moved off-campus with 2 sorority sisters (1 a nursing major who always wanted to give her a shot - LOL). She found it much easier to cook her own food.

3. susanH

susanH Approved members

well, last year he had the declining balance plan and he felt like he had to watch his eating..everything was a la carte and he wasn't thrilled with seeing the literal cost of every meal he ate. so, this year we went with the unlimited foodplan. :cwds: go figure!

they also offer a plus card that you can load with money up to 200, and the kids can shop at a small on campus convenient store for snacks and sandwiches. he used that card alot last year.

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

On campus, off campus and meal plans are sore subjects around our house lately. My husband and I disagree on who pays what. We really wanted our son to live on campus one more year (sophmore). He wanted to live off campus with all his friends - can't say I blame him. The kids were convinced it would be less expensive - well, when you include the summer expenses for a lease and that they are close to campus which I love - it really is not. My son has to pay the difference. And meal plans (organized by number of meal "swipes") ... I think he's going with a commuter type package and we'll put money in the plus type card like you Susan. I know he'll end up living on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in his room though when he's off campus. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  5. Tarheel84

Tarheel84 Approved members

My son lives off campus but has a declining balance card that can be used for on campus dining or at the student store, etc. We just add more money as necessary. He also has a car and makes regular trips to Wendy's, Bojangles, Back Yard Burger, etc. He does go to the grocery store and gets sandwich stuff. I think he is trying to make healthier choices...more salads...fewer sodas. Right now he doesn't have to inject at mealtime just the Lantis at night so he hasn't seen the need to learn how to count carbs yet. He's not one to plan ahead...just goes with the flow.

I know he is eating way too much junk...too much pizza and not enough veggies and since he turned 21 yesterday that opens up another set of worries...beer at college?? really?? :)

Do most schools post the carb counts of the on campus foods??

Linda