- advertisement -

MDI + Apidra - what to expect

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Karenwith4, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Hi

I was wondering if those on MDI can share how their transition to Apidra went. We're considering giving it a try and I would like to find out how ratios and basal/bolus etc were affected.
    Did you transition using 1 unit of Rapid to 1 of Apidra?

THanks in advance for your help.
    Karen

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

The bolus action using Apidra should be the same for pumpers or MDI folks. I found Apidra works a bit sooner and ends sooner. At the three hour mark all gone. Actually depending on your dose by the two and one half hour mark most of the action for me is gone. I can eat and bolus at the same time. Best case for me is to wait ten minutes to eat. On the Novo/Hum I had to wait 15 to 20 minutes to eat and it did not stop for four hours. Good luck. Ali

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

We use Apidra and Novolog interchangeably at 1:1.

The Apidra starts to work much faster - we often bolus at the start of the meal. Apidra is NOT good for pizza, heavy meals, or other slow to digest items - as your child will go low and then high later.

It is done between 2.5 and 3 hours, vs. between 4 and 5 hours for the Novolog.

Good luck! :)

4. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Thanks so much.

Karen

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We've been using apidra for about 2months now.. Its definitely working fast, and done faster.. I THINK the duration is more like 2.5hours, but I leave it at 3 in her pump because I can't pick 2.5, its only in whole hours (MM, change that already!!). We definitely changed things in the beginning, but ended up changing everything back to almost where it was.. we were having a lot of lows.. I think it was her body getting use to it.