- advertisement -

MDI active kids about 40-50LBS, Basal please

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Jul 2, 2011.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Thinking of trying untethered and want to get an idea of kids in weight range.

its summer, cheerleading/ballet/jazz.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I thought the technique for going unthethered was to give the basal that the pump delivered in a Lantus shot?

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

For many kids, there is not a 1:1 correlation between Lantus and pump basal.

4. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Personally, would not do it

I would not do that for my DD as once you give the lantus, you are on that basal for 24 hours with no variability for the increased activity. On lantus we always had to feed the insulin. I know you aren't supposed to have to, but we did. My CWD has about 5 different basals, so it would be nightmarish for me to have her go untethered. However, YDMV.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Ok trying again, please.

I would not be giving her ALL basal via Lantus, I am thinking more like 50-70%. We use Apridra and if she is off her pump for more than an hour and then eats once she is hooked back up we almost always go up to above 250 before we come down. I am thinking that we can introduce a Lantus shot and still wear her pump with additional basal going to get the variabilty that we need for the night but be able to more easily be pump free for at least 2 hour spans and not have a huge spike after hooking back up. So yes I have thought of the pros and cons.

So anyone care to share their Lantus does with me for active kids in the 40-50lbs range.

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My guy is 55 pounds and we just went back to lantus for our disney trip. His lantus was 9 units but we found that he was going sky high at night so we gave 9u in the morning and 2 units at night and it worked perfectly for him. Good luck.

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler is around 75 pounds and VERY active.

He receives 7 units lantus then receives .250 basal from 3:30am - 9pm then .350 from 9pm - 3:30am.

If he is playing sports, swimming etc., he can be disconnected for HOURS without seeing any highs later...we went to an amusement park last week, he was disconnected from around 11:30 - 8:30 - only reconnecting when eating twice during that time...his numbers were below 150 all day until around 5:30ish when he had shot up into the 300's....so the activity level at the amusement park isn't enough to stay disconnected...next time I will up his lantus the night before.

I know he weighs more, but thought it may help.

8. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

My daughter is 48 lbs and only on 1 unit of lantus. Possibly still in the honey moon though.

Lynne

9. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

We went untethered last week. TDD on pump was 12. We started Lantus at 10 for 2 nights, 11 for 2 nights, 12 for 4 nights and just went up to 13 last night. We're still running high through the day but have just dropped his I:C a little.

He's almost 12 and 102 pounds. A little heavier that what you are looking for but might help a little.

10. Blue

Blue Approved members

He weighs 42 pounds and gets 4 and a half units of Lantus. He's a very active kid - but he is only three . . .

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Thanks everyone!!!

I have been talking it up with my dd and right now she is game, she would love to be off her pump for more that 2 hours without the "test and correct" style tat we are in right now. She want to help out with her little sister;s dance cass that is prior to her class and does not even want her pump on at all during Cheerleading which she will start prior to Aug.

It has been over 5 years since our last Lantus dose, but if i remember correctly we did see a peek. AND she normally needs more insulin in the early bedtime ours, so I am thinking either with dineer or prior to 0breakfast because she eeded massive amount then