- advertisement -

Maybe too sensitive.....(vent)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by CassiesMama, Sep 6, 2011.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

So I have decided to start researching weight loss surgery to try to get healthy after years of failing miserably at doing it on my own. I found some forums that have lots of people on them so I can get an idea of the type of surgery I would go for and what not but the problem for me is that I keep seeing people posting their horror about their t2 and needing to be on insulin or they make awful comments about complications that can happen when someone doesn't take care of their d. This stuff just pisses me off seeing how they go on like its the end of the world. Like one lady posted this:
    "High Blood sugar can kill you eventually; not a pleasant death
    because it is so slow and you wind up getting parts hacked off
    of you like your feet, etc. Not good."
    It took all my will power to not start yelling via post about it, I have the d monster living in my house and battle him every day, to keep my kid alive and happy. I know all kind of d are awful and I am not saying one is any better then the other but god I wish I could just give my kid a pill once a day and feeding her a balanced diet, to keep her sugars in line.

I know joining these boards are going to bring me face to face with all the type 2 stuff but it just kills me seeing people post all the stuff that we get told that wont work for our kids, and all the disinformation that is out there being spewed like its gospel.

Maybe I am just too sensitive to thing related to D since we live with it everyday, but it makes me not want to even bother to read those boards, I just get angry seeing that stuff. Yet I need to read them so I know what to expect as I go on my journey to get healthy. Well thanks for letting me get that out :eek:

2. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Chrystelle,

I commend you on taking time to see how you can improve your own quality of life.

Reading about the side effects of diabetes can be devastating. However, it will help to regain a bit of perspective in relation to your daughter's T1. I know you are wishing for a pill and balanced diet solution for her. Unfortunately, a non-working pancreas prevents this as a solution.

However, long term studies have shown that for T1, frequent BG checks and constant insulin management have resulted in much fewer long term complications. Yes, she will face more years of T1 than others face of T2. The long term outlook is far better for her.

T2 can be due to heredity conditions. But long term poor diet and lack of exercise are usually contributing factors. Due to the long term nature of abuse to the body, T2's have more severe complications for the most part.

So, your daughter may have a long "battle" with T1 ahead of her, she also has many years in which she can "manage the battle" well and reduce long term complications.

Congratulations again on taking a positive step in your own health!

3. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I understand the feeling. I guess I am too sensitive as well. I am having an argument on facebook right now with some friend's friend, who is posting that corn products cause Type 2. I felt the need to correct him and he's telling me I am dead wrong because his dietician and bariatric surgeon says that it's caused by laziness, and apparently corn. :confused:

Maybe we both need to learn to just walk away?

Good luck to you with your weight loss.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Honestly, I think the best thing to do is to just think of them as two completely different diseases, which for the most part, they are. If they were talking about cancer or MS or some other disease on there, you wouldn't get as upset about it, and just keep in mind that they're NOT talking about your child's disease. :)

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Compassion goes a long way and works both ways. My heart goes out to those who are struggling with T2. It is a silent disease for those who haven't had their blood checked (or can't afford to) and years later discover the issue when the damage has already been done. Though the poster wasn't very delicate in discussing the complications...they are still scary and real for those who have T2. And, as mentioned before, T2 is much, much more genetic than T1. Those suffering with it have the added burden of shame and blame that they brought it on themselves...which is not true! My dad is quite overweight...but not T2.

Once people are dx'd with T2, they are often feeling just fine. In many cultures, when you are feeling good, a dx isn't taken seriously and so, some people don't follow dr's orders as well as they should. I have a Colombian friend who mentioned this about his own father with T2. It's kind of complicated.

Okay, I'm getting off my high horse now!:)

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I agree with what others have said. T2 and T1 are different diseases in the way they present and are treated. Take a deep breath and move on.

Good luck on your journey.

7. joan

joan Approved members

I feel the same as above. Unfortunately they have almost the same name but are very, very different.

8. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

I agree with this. Very well said!

Christine

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Hallelujah...a cure for T2 has been found!:p Avoiding laziness and corn...it's been there in front of us all along!:rolleyes: Sorry...that just cracked me up!!:p:D:p:D:p

10. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

I know Cassie will have a long and healthy life lord knows the bags under my eyes are proving how hard I work at that right now for her. I also know that they are 2 separate conditions and I am not saying that T2's brought it on themselves, far from it. I dont, I think its just the fact I have had people tell me that my kid dont need shots, or now her insulin pump if I would just stand up to her doctor and tell them to give me the pills for that. If it was that easy I could get some darn sleep :rolleyes: I think my lack of sleep and the fact the hubby dont really do any of the D stuff just have me burnt and overly sensitive all things that even bring up D in any way shape or form.

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

LOL who knew! I have been trying to learn as much about T2 as T1, because my grandfather had T2. So don't I owe it to myself to know, just in case?

I do believe I won this argument since after my last factual statement his reply was "whatever". Then a few minutes later he came back to criticize my punctuation and spelling , and said I need to take an English class. I apologized and told him my lack of keyboard skills was caused by corn. :p

12. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

LOL!!!!!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think to surivive this disease with your sanity intact, you (in general) really do need to develop a thicker skin. You will read/hear all sorts of things about diabetes (1 and 2). If it is a situation where you think you can educate someone on the reality of living with this disease, you should do it. But there will be some cases were no matter what you say it will not make a difference. In those cases you just need to use the NSCS method (Nod, Smile, and Change the Subject) :cwds:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Honestly, nothing they're saying isn't the truth. In so many ways people with type 2 have such a struggle because in most cases they don't get a good quick DX and they DO end up spending years and years with chronically high BG which lead to loads of complications and by then, sometimes, it's too late.

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hang in there...and best of luck with the surgery!:)

16. sooz

sooz Approved members

I just want to add that for many type 2's it isnt just one pill a day and watch what they eat. I have a family member who actually went through bariatric surgery today as a matter of fact because her type two was so bad she was on two insulin shots a day plus 12 pills. She started losing weight because it was required for the surgery..(ironic, no) and lost 40 pounds with walking and excercise and her type two did improve and will improve after the surgery even more. However, she is still a young woman, in her thirties, and if she had kept going the way she was, Im sure the outcome would have been grim. I think it is really important that we not judge one D against the other, as has been said they are different but both are no bed of roses.

I have friends who have done the surgery and they all recommend the Rouen Y ( I believe it is called) the intestinal bypass as the way to go. My family member had what is called a 'sleeve' I believe done through Kaiser. I dont know why she chose that one but others have told me it is not the ideal one. Perhaps it is the only one Kaiser approves or maybe it has something to do with her age. Good luck with your decision!

17. lisac

lisac Approved members

What aggrivates me is when people who know NOTHING about D try to give me advice or make me feel better. I can't count how many times people have said "oh, your daughter has diabetes? That's ok, she'll grow out of it." Just because she's a child with an illness doesn't mean she'll grow out of it!! I know they don't mean any harm,but if they don't know anything, why even comment? I don't ask for their opinion...usually someone will see her pump pack and ask her if she has a cell phone and she tells them what it is. Ok, now I'm done complaining (at least for now:))

18. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I know our kids have a hard time, but so do type 2s. I think they should be able to complain if they want. In fact they are probably more likely to have complications due to D because they can have it a long time without knowing about it. They also have to watch what they eat [Limit carbs] more than a type 1 does. Type one and two are different but they both stink!

I'm definitely not saying type 2 is worse, its not. But they should be able to complain. BTW, I am not type 2

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, this, in my experience Type 2's do have a much harder road when old. Type 1s learn to deal at a young age and it's just part of their normal, Type 2s can ignore, deny, continue to swallow that pill and eat poorly, basically they can act like nothing has changed as their body continues to utilize insulin poorly. Even when some need injected insulin (vs oral meds) they don't do it consistently. Most don't even test their blood sugar.

The only amputation I have ever seen that I can recall (and I see a lot of amputations) in a Type 1 was in a horrible drug abuser, young guy too, he basically ignored everything about his health, including his diabetes.

There's no contest or anything on who has it worse, but as far as long range complications, I do think Type 2s win that one.

Good luck with your surgery, my neighbor had this done and doing fabulously with it, she looks and feels great.