- advertisement -

Maybe a dumb question at a year in, but...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MommaKat, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I think you're right; she's needing less Lantus after being ill. I just found a 101 at two hours post-eating when we tested to calibrate the CGM's new sensor. I was expecting a 165 or so. Obviously, today's 130% basal is more than enough, whereas yesterday's 200% kept her in the 170-190 range.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would have her eat a snack without covering it to see what happens. Probably all she would be is a little high. If she isn't, then you know for sure that the Lantus is too high.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

I think you have a Lantus issue - she's getting too much.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think, with older kids, we walk a fine line between teaching them that diabetes is a condition that can, and should be, well 'controlled" and admitting that there's a hell of a lot about D management that is beyond our control.

For a kid it's hard to understand that you can do everything "right" and still get a lousy outcome. And too, that the endo is someone to listen to, but is not the expert on her individual and specific diabetes.

In whatever way works for your kid, I think it's critical to communicated that living with diabetes means learning to be flexible, adaptable and open-minded because it never stands still and it's never quite the same two days in a row.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

LOL. The first time my daughter involved herself in making a dose decision was to UNdo a carb ratio change suggested by our endo. I think the recommended dose lasted two meals before DD reprogrammed the pump herself.:p

6. show2tj

show2tj Approved members

Basal

Personally, I can only tell you about how an awesome friend (who became a diabetes nurse because of her diabetic child) told us to assess basal. Pick a meal -- start with breakfast -- do not eat any carbs. If BG goes down or up from the time you eat until the next meal, tweak the basal up or down accordingly. Do this for 3 days and you will have a good basal rate for breakfast. The following week (only because this can be a hassle) do the same with lunch,etc... Good luck!