- advertisement -

May I call it a freak-out experience?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Ed2009, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

OK, I need some thoughts here. Other than suggesting that I have to be committed to an institution.

So here go the facts:

My wife claims that she's not sleeping well. Then she gets a book on Feng-Shui, goes through the room with a down to earth compass, and realizes -and I swear I've seen it-, the magnetic north actually shifts West on her side of the bed; furthermore, this is very much noticeable sweeping the compass through the room and bed. Perfect repeatability every time we pass the thing over the room and bed.

Anyway, I did not give much of a thought since this is all too normal in any house due to piping, vent ducts, walls, you call it, and I filed the whole thing in the "so what / what do I care" box of thoughts.

So I go for travel, and when I'm back she shows me -with a big smile- the compass through the room and the bed. North is North now all over the place. The needle cannot be steadier. And all the piping, ducts and nails are in the same place too.

I ask, "what did you do?" (And here comes the part where everyone tells me "Aw com' on!") -She answers, I've placed a "Mandala" under the bed, which corrected the energy unbalance, and gives me some sort of explanation about energies that, as an engineer, I'd find laughable -this to use the kindest words that won't get me ostracized for a month-. Except for the fact that the bloody compass points the right direction all over the place, and before did not.

Please, any one tell me that it is possible to remove all metal in a house in less than a week and not to leave a single trace of the construction work, or that compasses change their pointing with temperature, humidity, or solar spots. Or perhaps she installed an NMR machine in the basement that I did not see?

Can anyone give me a rational explanation of this? I find hard to believe that a painting will change geomagnetism.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Just go with it..... ;)

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hmmmm, well I can't really comment except to say my husband is also an engineer so I feel your wife's pain and know what you have to live with.;)

Also, there is a Dr Gott who wrote a newspaper column and related that his readers reported that placing a bar of soap under the bottom sheet of the bed would prevent nocturnal leg cramps. The soap could be any brand except Dial or Dove. So, since I had leg cramps from time to time, I tried it with Dial, which was all I had, and it worked. Now, why would it work at all? Why would Dial work when it wasn't supposed to?

Ok, no point to the story except to say, I don't know. But fascinating, really...especially the part about the compass. So, hope you noticed I didn't say anything about an institution.:D

Edited to add: The advice I give my children and husband when dealing with me on things like this is the phrase "You could be right about that."

4. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

How did she know that it would take that particular type of painting, and where to place it, for everything to straighten out?

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

aaaaaannnndddd you would be right.

Simple. Remove it and retest.

You hold the compass.

6. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Agreed. While she's not home, verify scientifically that you are right. But from personal experience, I would suggest that you satisfy yourself and then let it go. As much as we believe it is irrational and wrong and want to correct it, for the sake of your relationship, forget it ever happened and accept it as one of those weird things about your partner that you look past because you love everything else.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

^^^ Words of wisdom there that I couldn't provide. Nicely done.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Smile and go with it.:) Does it really matter why?

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to figure out how to align my chakras. Apparently that had some influence on my kid's D.:rolleyes:

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

Making note of Swellman's signature, but still holding on to some magic...

QUOTE:

Throughout history
    Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

10. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I can't help with logic, but would love to know where she got this mandela as I am having EMF issues at my place and would like a simple inexpensive solution.

11. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

As to how did she get the painting, a friend recommended to DW when she started to make inquiries for possible solutions to the problem.

If I follow the popular suggestion I should retest.

The one problem, is that she told me that the 'adjustment' took 2 days to set, so if I take the painting out for 2 days, she'll realize it and there'll be hell to pay.
    And frankly, I do not want to even touch the thing. Think if it modifies my one and only electromagnetic system -yes, I'm serious-.

On the other hand, if I take the painting out and then I get the known universe in disharmony and unbalance, I should need a waiver/release before attempting the experiment.

So after careful pondering, I'm happy to say that I'll keep applying the most solid, mature and realistic approach that can possibly be done to those things that one does not fully understand:
    Pretend they do not exist.

12. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

This sounds like a really good idea! :)