- advertisement -

Mastisol questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by taximom, Jun 11, 2008.

1. taximom

taximom Approved members

No directions came with it, and the teeny tiny print on the bottle is way too small for my eyes.

Those of you that use Mastisol........do you let it dry before you stick your site/pod to it? or do you put it on when it is still sticky? Also, do you ever apply it after the site/pod is on around the edges of the tape.....does this help?

Any tips on how you use it would be great. Thanks!

2. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Hi Denise,

We just apply it (try for the size of the pod) and wait for it to set up. It will still be sticky, but not runny. I don't think you can put it around the pod because I think it stays somewhat tacky and you'll have problems with it picking up gunk and sticking to his clothes.

3. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

I apply it with a cotton ball and allow it to dry. It will still be tacky when dry. I do not recommend putting it on top of the fabric after the pod is applied. This can cause the edges to pull up right away and will cause lint, etc. to stick to the fabric.

Kirsten

4. taximom

taximom Approved members

Thank you! Yeah, it seems like it does stay sticky and doesn't really "dry". I just wasn't sure if I should put the pod on immediately after the M or let it sit a little while. I did wait a few minutes last time and it seemed to work pretty well. I just don't know if I got the whole "pod area". I think I'll be a little more generous with it this time, since it getting hot out and DS sweats like crazy.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Waiting until the Mastisol dries to a tacky stage is really important, otherwise the site just falls off.

6. jacobandhannah

jacobandhannah Approved members

A friend of mine was able to get me some sample to try and I was wondering what to use to remove the Mastisol.

7. Mindy

Mindy Approved members

Detachol works great for removing the Mastisol. We just used a qtip to apply, and it really helps. My son even used it for times he only used IV Prep, and it really helped things just slide off.

8. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

Detachol. Acetone (Nail polish remover) works, but is VERY harsh. Unisolve may work. I use detachol.

The easiest way is to take a warm, soapy bath, and then it will peel right off.

Kirsten

9. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Another tip I got from Insulet that helped us a lot was to just put a little deodorant on your finger and gently rub it around the skin and barely touching the tape. Helped a lot on those super hot sports days.

As for removing it, UniSolve works well especially if you let it sit for a few minutes before peeling the tape off.

10. haileysmom

haileysmom Approved members

don't put too much! it doesn't sick as well then for some reason. also, i know someone already said this, but do not spray it on top of the pod, it makes the pod fall off!!! we just did one spray on Hailey right where we were going to put the pod.. and let it dry all the way. it worked pretty well. we still use it sometimes, but our pharmacy has to special order it.