- advertisement -

Massive Dexcom C/S incompetence

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, Jun 18, 2014.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, the transmitter arrived today, so at least I'm not going to have to yell at any more poor Dexcom C/S representatives. ;)

Nancy, that just sucks. I don't know how many times I've had something similar happen over the course of our 6+ years with D. And then people think you're a nagging shrew when you call back to confirm things that you've been told. I hope you get it all straightened out.

Most insurance companies will cover another once you are out of warranty, so 6 months is normal, but as Monica said, it does vary some by insurance companies. Once our first transmitter went out of warranty, I ordered a new one immediately because I know there can be delays when you're involving a new prescription and the insurance company. I did not anticipate that transmitter dying at 4 months, but there's really nothing I could do about that.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

if under DME after 6 months, if RX then the next month.

3. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Just to be clear, the transmitter was still in the original box, but was shipped in another box with no packing. The outer box was smashed, therefore the smaller Dexcom box was also smashed. I have a picture of it, which I sent to Dexcom, that is how I was able to get them to replace it. I just don't know how to post it here, or I would. The problem was that the second one was shipped the exact same way, but lucky for us this time the outer box was not crushed. They are supposed to be putting packing between the two boxes but are not doing so. Of course they are going to use their insurance and claim against UPS, which I think is total bs. It wasn't UPS that was to blame.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes I have received the transmitter in its own little Dexcom box by itself when just ordering a transmitter.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Just to end my own story, the transmitter was indeed received today, son is in town and will be able to take it back to school with him this weekend, so while it was a huge PITA and no small work on my part, all's well at the end of the day. I still say that a little communication goes a long way, and I hope that I made an impact on their customer service as I was VERY clear that if I had simply been called this whole mess would have been avoided.

It came overnight and even had bubble wrap in there! Email says there are some sensors coming next week, which I do not remember ordering, so perhaps they are trying to apologize, if so, it's a nice gesture and much appreciated.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

What I learned to do very early on was to enter ALL information in a spreadsheet, including the name of the C/S or T/S rep to whom I speak. (We had a heck of a time getting a week out of sensors early on. I made A LOT of calls.) I have had only one bad experience with Dexcom not sending something when they said they would...or the next day...or the next day. I had names and I spoke to supervisors.

If you have an online account with them, you can receive an email when a shipment is made, and then track the shipment through the carrier (mine is always FedEx). That's how I knew when we had a problem.

Regarding warranties on the transmitter and the receiver, I was told the warranty starts the second the component leaves Dexcom.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You can contact the FDA.

8. shannong

shannong Approved members

I have a question: if you order a new transmitter to have on hand for when the old one dies, does the 6 month warranty start from the time they ship it to you or when you actually start using the transmitter? Does Dexcom have a way of knowing when you start the new transmitter?

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It starts when they ship it.

10. shannong

shannong Approved members

That makes it difficult to keep one on hand then! We pay out of pocket, so it looks like I will have to wait until this one dies and then order another one because I want the full 6 month warranty. Thanks for responding.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

What about those of us that get our supplies from a mail order company? How will they (Dexcom) know when we've received a shipment?

12. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We've used a couple of different 3rd party suppliers. The suppliers must be keeping good records for Dexcom, because we get an email directly from Dexcom when our transmitter warranty is up.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

Great to know! Thanks! The reason I asked was because we received our Dexcom in October but didn't start using it until the end of December.