- advertisement -

Making pump changes... panicking a little, help?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Jul 27, 2013.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

DD has had D for over 2 years now and will be 10 years old tomorrow. We have sure noticed an increase in her insulin needs since day 1. Eg: started with TDD of 4 or so and now about 20-24 units TDD. The other day we realized her ISF should probably be changed due to the increased TDD. I changed it from an ISF of 10 to 6 (big jump in my opinion). Had to do a correction this a.m. and am nervous because it sure seems like a lot of insulin now.

We used the 1800/1500 rule from Think like a pancreas. Where you take your TDD and divide into 100 (or something like that) to come up with an ISF of 6.

Anyway, my question is: For a 10 year old does an ISF of 6 sound appropriate age-wise? She's 66 pounds. If you can chime in and tell me what your child's ISF is and TDD hopefully it will make me feel better and less apprehensive. I know YDMV but hearing other's TDD and ISF is reassuring.

Also, can anyone chime in as to when the "Crazy Puberty" insulin rollercoaster starts? Is 10 years old too early for the start of crazy insulin needs?

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Sorry--can't help with the numbers because DS is half her age with half her TDD, but before someone says that 6 is way too high, I think most people in the US will think of it as 108 or 1:108 (right?). :)

3. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

108... I think that's right for the US. Thanks for the heads up on conversion, we use mmol in Canada not mg. I know we divide or multiple 18 to convert for blood sugar but I don't know how it works to figure out ISF????:confused:

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think it sounds completely within the bounds of normal. My son is 9, and his correction factor is 1:75. But he weighs 90 pounds and his TDD is in the neighborhood of 35 units. I'm sure his was around 1:100 when he weighed what your daughter weighs.

But the best way to tell is to try it and see if it works or not.

I don't think 10 is too young to see insulin increasing due to puberty, but I don't see anything in your post that makes me think that your daughter has "crazy insulin needs" yet.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Use the 1800 rule as a guide but find it is still a bit strong. Both my teenagers, age 13 and age 16 use about 36 units a day. They are both at ISF if 70.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My almost 14 year old has an ISF of 70. It hasn't changed in the last two years despite puberty. I don't know if she follows charts or not. Maybe I remember the recommended would be 1:50? Puberty intensified for us at 11.5, but this would be dependent on development of the individual child. It really intensified at 12 and again at 13.5. She's overgrown the growth charts, going from the 25%tile to the 68%tile since diagnosis, so there's been lots of growth hormone keeping our D-life interesting.