- advertisement -

Make sure your student has someone checking

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

It's vital that our college student children have people check up on them, especially during times of illness or after partying. :-(

MTSU student found dead in dormitory
    [SIZE=-1]The Tennessean, TN - 6 hours ago[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Freshman Jeremy Beatty, 28, was found late Sunday night in Cummings Hall on the Murfreesboro campus. Police told WTVF-Channel 5 that they believed the death ...[/SIZE]

2. susanH

susanH Approved members

:( this is heartbreaking.

my son spends way too much time alone in his dorm room, every weekend all 3 of his suite mates go home. he wears a pump, but no ID. i have no idea how to run interference here without insulting him. it is on my mind alot.

as a sidenote -- i really wish reporters/press/media would stop refering to the disease as "severe". what exactly is severe diabetes? maybe he was having control issues, maybe he had already noticed side effects...but i wish they wouldn't use the term severe. maybe it's just me.

prayers for that family.

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Natural causes at 28 years of age? I don't understand that. :confused:

So sad.

4. sevans

sevans Approved members

I know exactly what you mean about the term "severe" and I don't like it either. I think it demonstrates ignorance about diabetes.

5. Boo

Boo Approved members

This totally scares me. My son is only 12, but a huge part of me dreads the college years for exactly this reason. I'll be a basket case in 6 more years.

...and I'm completely with you on the "severe" terminology!!

6. Armyemily

Armyemily Approved members

I am in college and me and my parents talked with the RA and with the medical staff and the RA checks on me and if her thinks there is a problem he immediately checks my BG (which we taught her to do) and id there is a problem she will call medical staff and my parents.

7. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Prompts interesting questions.

At one line do we as parents decide we have knocked on the door enough before we break in? Or the phone has rung too many times?

Do diabetic children and young adults give up a degree of privacy?

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I think based on certain circumstances - illness or during/after partying - the young adult or his/her parents welcome someone intervening! It can mean the difference of life and death. It can mean breaking into a locked room after you get no response. :cwds:

9. Lisa

Lisa New Member

My daughter also spends too much time alone on the weekends in her dorm room! I try to have some contact with her everyday....and I am trying to not ask too many questions about her diabetes care. I know she takes care of herself, but I know it's not the same as when I was looking over her shoulder!

The "no ID" thing makes me nuts, and I know she takes the bracelet off as soon as I am out of sight. It makes me NUTS!!!!

And for years I have been fighting the description of haveing a "severe case of diabetes" WHAT DOES THAT MEAN????? Diabetes is a disease.......never heard a physician describe her condition as being severe diabetes.....and by the way, what would they consider "non-severe" diabetes? Consequences to our childrens health is severe whether it be Type 1 or Type 2.......people can be so ignorant!

I hope I can make it thru the next 3 years!!!!!

Good luck to the rest of you!