- advertisement -

make a wish

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

But in many cases, T1D does impact the length and quality of some people's lives. Many more than we realize.

Also, these organizations, especially Make A Wish, grant a wish to EVERY CHILD that meets their established criteria. No child who qualifies is ever turned down. Make A Wish is a national foundation with chapters in almost every state. They have more than enough for every child who qualifies.

2. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

In my experience with the Make A Wish Foundation, people who donate to Make A Wish are fine with allowing Make A Wish make the decisions, since they do have an established criteria that is followed.

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Just to clarify, MAW can not reject any child as long as they get a note from the dr.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

For those who don't know what Make a Wish does (someone asked upthread):

http://www.wish.org/about/our_mission

In the FAQs:

National contact info:
    Make-A-Wish Foundation
    of America
    4742 N. 24th St., Suite 400
    Phoenix, AZ 85016-4862
    Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. MST
    Phone: (602) 279-WISH (9474)
    Toll-free: (800) 722-WISH (9474)
    Fax: (602) 279-0855

5. Toni

Toni Banned

Sorry, the poster with the child who died at dx quoted your post, and I read it as your post responding to her. She was quoting your post in response to a previous poster. My mistake and I apologize. You were speaking to a previous poster. I DO agree that Make A Wish shoudl be able to grant wishes to children with terminal illnesses as well as children with a chronic disease or "condition" like Type 1. I am very glad Type 1 children do qualify and I think they do deserve it. I am also glad that Make a Wish bumps the terminally ill to the head of the list.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

No problem.:)

7. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

That is exciting for the original OP.
    If my DD ever gets to the point where she is really struggling with T1D for a prolong period I would do MAW. If just for the chance that it would make her see that there is quality to her life and that people care. Sometimes the memory of that is enough to get past a hurdle.
    T1D is difficult, regardless of how well managed it is - it's freaking hard. And it's hardest on the kids living with it. MAW should be applauded for recognizing that, and not comparing kids with life threatening conditions against one another.

8. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

I agree....and I say congrats as well.

9. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

I wonder what the thoughts would be of d teens who have been living with this disease from a young age....would a wish have helped through the young years?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

Yay!!! I am so excited for your daughter :D I hope she has fun in what she picks. I think all of our children deserve a wish !!! I read in our paper a few years ago that Make a wish was now including chronic illness.

11. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I think it's great! Our kids go through so much - it is wonderful that she will have a great thing because of this darn disease!! :) Let us know what she dreams of! :)

12. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

WOW I agree. I was so upset when I read how rude people can be. How about just saying Congratulations/Good Luck/Hope she has an awesome time on whatever she decides to "wish-for".
    Jeez...people get a grip. It is just a kid wanting a wish to try and make her not to have to deal with this for a little bit and to see the sparkle in their eyes that was taken away the day they were dx. Maybe the parents can't afford a "wish". I am sure the "people" that donate to Make A Wish would not disagree..
    Again Good luck and congratulations.

13. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

Hand Clap--very well stated.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just for the heck of it, I thought I would chime in one more time before this thread is removed. While Melinda's comment could have been worded better, I think what she was saying is that she hopes the child doesn't misunderstand and think that getting a Make A Wish means she is going to die.

I hope this thread has been a good learning experience for everyone. Just because we disagree with each other, or debate two sides of an issue, it doesn't mean we are rude. OK, I am done. :D

15. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

It's time to close this thread, as the discussed has taken a turn that was not in keeping with the spirit of CWD. I also removed the last couple threads which I believe were completely unhelpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.