- advertisement -

make a wish

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspi

caspi Approved members

I am so sorry for your loss! :( And it's okay to respectfully disagree with someone! ;) Being told by someone to go somewhere else to disagree... well, that I take issue with! :rolleyes:

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Absolutely no need to appologize :D

3. 4kids4me

4kids4me Member

Not a problem...no feelings hurt here. :^)

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Congratulations! Please share with us her wish when it's fufilled.

A boy in our town was diagnosed with Aplastic Anemia. As soon as he gets the green light to "go public" again, he will have his wish filled. If I recall, it's going to Atlantis, something his parents could not afford to do, especially with ongoing travel/medical costs.

I think it's great that there is a group that can provide the wishes!

5. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

ok I am getting a chuckle at that one...only if you can chaperon.

Shannon congrats...what do you think she will wish for? It is very exciting.

Do share the event with us...so we can smile with you! :D

6. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I remember dear family friends had a son with cerebral palsy making a wish to go to a DUDE Ranch. He had difficulty with talking and could walk just a bit. They had a blast...and did he ever smile for the horses...and loved riding them. They had special harness to keep him in.

Brought tears to his dad's eyes to see him have sooo much fun. It was memorable...and they still look fondly on that wish years later.:)

I know Shannon will too.

7. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

I am glad your daughter is getting a wish if that's what she wants and what you want. I would personally be afraid that my child would interpret qualifying for Make-A-Wish as being someone who is going to die sooner than others. My son is now 15 though so a younger child might not know what Make-A-Wish is usually thought of as, and that is it conjures images of dying children to a lot of people. I would rather pay for something myself or not do it at all if I was worried AT ALL that my child would now or in the future think they weren't going to live a long-life.
    I disagree that everyone on this thread has to give cheerful, happy remarks to the original poster. We are supposed to be adults, and able to respectfully debate things having to do with our Type 1 kids. I guess sometimes we don't realize that just because we all have kids with Type 1 on here, we are still in many ways TOTALLY different & wouldn't be people we would hang around in 'real' life. There are still mature & immature, nice & not-so-nice, religious & non-religious, etc. people on this forum just like any other group of people.
    Hopefully, we can get past other things and just talk about our kids with Type 1 and things that affect them without telling others what to post or not to post etc...

8. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

It is great to have somebody volunteer to grant your child something you couldn't provide for them. Emily was dx at such a young age that with D combined with the food allergies I ended up quitting my job to care for her instead of putting her in daycare. So with that, along with the medical expenses, we didn't have the money for extra stuff. Wishing Star was so great with her! They also try to keep a "family" with the kids. Emily gets birthday cards and has gotten donated blankets before (very nice because she's been hospitalized several times). They also helped us out one Christmas we were really struggling because of multiple hospital bills which was amazing. The family knew our situation and was thrilled to be involved in our kids' lives. Recently, they had a group of about 10-15 families to see Disney on Ice. It was so fun to get the kids all together. Even though there was a wide range of conditions, there was so much acceptance and support going around.

I am so happy for Shannon! I can't wait to hear what she wishes for--love the Nick Jonas idea!

Kelly

Emily 7--dx @ 2
    Kaitlyn 3

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I agree with Christopher 100%.

I hope that Shannon enjoys her wish.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I appreciate you taking the time to articulate a thoughtful and well reasoned post. ;)

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I am not going to read through the pages of responses because I can see how this thread is going off track, but wanted to respond.

How exciting! I hope that your daughter is able to come up with a wish that will give her memories to last a lifetime!!:cwds:

We know a family with CF and one of the daughters was recommended to get a wish, and the family went to the Ididarod and they are still talking about it many years later.:cwds:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  12. Flutterby

no was 'directing' anyone to go anywhere.... I simply stated this THIS thread shouldn't be turned into an arguement. Thats all.. have your opinion, feel the way you want.. but don't belittle the person that started the thread because they felt their child deserves a wish. Starting anothre thread to debate that is more approprate.:rolleyes:

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Thanks.....it's rare but I can do it every once in a while....;) :cwds:

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

I don't see anyone here belittling the OP. With all due respect, the tone of this thread was fine until you admonished me for voicing my opinion.... :rolleyes:

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

I second that!

16. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Hope Shannon has a wonderful time no matter what she wishes for. And we all want to see pics after the fact.

17. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Excellent post Chris. I too hope that Shannon has a wonderful, exciting time with her wish:cwds:

18. Flutterby

my post wasn't directed at you, it was in general, asking it to not to turn into a debate. I asked out of respect for the O/P.

19. selketine

selketine Approved members

Yes...and you and I will have a wonderful time.:)

Maybe they should have a "make a wish" for caregivers. I'd much rather be thinking of wishes than going back down to clean up my flooded basement....:eek:

20. mlkatie

mlkatie Approved members

Deb,
    I read your story and I am so sorry for your loss, absolutely heartbreaking.
    Thank you for trying to educate the public on T1.
    My sympathys,
    Katie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.