- advertisement -

make a wish

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4kids4me

4kids4me Member

Oops, sorry. I responded to Caspi before I read your remark. My apologies!

2. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

Well, Our endo had referred us to call, because the make a wish foundation would periodically come in and give him info for it. and he told me that even though type 1 diabetes, can be controlled. It can be life threatening. I was alittle weary about doing it. But it took seeing her having a bad day and said darnit, im going for it. She deserves it. All our kids do.

3. 4kids4me

4kids4me Member

I hope she gets her wish! That's awesome!

4. shirley83006

Thanks to those who expressed their happiness for shannon. !!

5. shirley83006

so sorry for your loss:(

6. Toni

Toni Banned

Nobody should ask you to apologize for adding your opinion to the thread. Posters should not be "directing" the thread or telling someone to start another thread. In this case, I find the admonition heartless. It was related and pertinent. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for having the courage to share your story with others.

7. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I hope she thinks of something very special and has a wonderful time!!!!!!

8. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

I think that if Make A Wish says she qualifies then she qualifies-period. If she didn't meet the criteria then she wouldn't be granted a wish.

Very excited for you all! Congratulations!

Let us know what she decides to do and keep us updated,okay?

9. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I addition to T1 being life threatening to the extent that one could die from it suddenly, it also takes a lot from the child and family emotionally and financially. If someone feels their child deserves a Make a Wish wish and the organization agrees, then I say go for it.:)

I hope Shannon has fun. What is she thinking of asking for?

10. shekov

shekov Approved members

Congratulations to Shannon!

I hope she comes up with something great for her wish!

11. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

Congrats!! I am excited for her and for you. All of our kids deserve it as we deserve to see our children experience such excitement. Diabetes robs our children of so much. I think it is great that she is eligible. Keep us posted on what she decides.

12. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

Congrats! I hope whatever Shannon picks for her wish is memorable for the whole family! She (as well as all kids with D) deserve joy and happiness!:cwds:

13. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

No one asked for an apology.

An opinion was expressed: this thread should not have been turned into a debate and a separate thread would have been a better place for that debate.

No one was "directing" anything.

14. madde

madde Approved members

That's wonderful!!:)

Let us know what she chooses!

15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Disclaimer: If you feel comfortable choosing to do this for your child, that is great. I hope she figures out a great wish and enjoys it. However, this was posted on a public forum and you should expect to get many different kinds of responses (as you can already see). If you are confident in your decision, those comments should not make a difference to you. Here are mine. They are in no way directed at the OP.

I would not choose to have my daughter ask for a Make A Wish. I don't consider her illness to be life threatening. With good management I expect her to live a long, healthy, happy life. My daughter is not significantly limited by her illness. I also don't want her to be defined by her illness, either by others or in her own mind. She can go to school, participate in sports, choir, band, dance and other extra curricular activities. She goes to birthday parties, the beach, playdates, theme parks, vacations and participates fully in all that life has to offer. She does have to endure some indignities that most other kids don't have to (finger sticks, shots, etc). And yes, diabetes makes life more complicated and challenging.

But I want to teach her to meet those challenges head on and have the internal strength to overcome them. I have always told her that she can do anything that any other person can do. To me, her learning that lesson is much, much more important than looking to others to give her something because she has issues to deal with. I just think it reinforces the mind set of "poor me, my life sucks so I am entitled to something" attitude. I don't want her to think like that.

I personally think that Make A Wish and other foundations should be used by children who have illnesses that significantly impact the length and/or quality of their life. I also think that those organizations cannot possibly grant every wish that is asked of them and they need to make choices. That means some children will be turned down.

Finally, I don't see anything wrong with discussing this topic in this thread. The OP simply expressed her happiness that her child was chosen. This topic naturally creates heated discussion for both sides and as long as people discuss it respectfully and like adults, then there is no detrimental impact to the OP. Just my two cents.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  16. selketine

selketine Approved members

I wonder if I could get William to wish for a date with Johnny Depp....hmmmm......:p

Congrats!

17. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Life-threatening isn't the same as terminal. If Make a Wish uses that as their criteria and you disagree, take it up with them. We had a thread about this before, and up until that point, I also thought the organization was for kids with terminal illnesses only. Apparently it is not. And if you think your management is so perfect that your child's life is never at risk, more power to you.

Congrats to Shannon. I hope her wish turns out wonderfully.

18. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think you completely missed my point. But that is OK. Have a nice day. :cwds:

19. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Umm, can you ask for Nic Cage as well?:p

20. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

When I'm speaking directly to someone, I quote them, like so. Otherwise, it's a general statement. I can be as passive-aggressive as the next man (hint, hint), but that wasn't the case here. Random dismissive comment to you too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.