- advertisement -

make a wish

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

been in touch with make a wish foundation. and they got the qualification from my daughters doctor for a wish. and now just waiting for them to send some volunteers our way to discuss shannon's wish, and how they can make it come true. She is really trying to think of what her wish would be. I am so excited for her.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Wow! I was under the impression that Make A Wish was for children with a life threatening medical condition. Did they change their eligibility?

3. Livie's Mom

Livie's Mom Approved members

My mom contacted them when Olivia was diagnosed 3yrs ago and they denined her said it wasn't life threatning

4. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

My understanding is Make a Wish operates for children with life changing/life threatening diseases.

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Was she dx'd with something recently???

A great organization that has provided wonderful lasting memories for children facing life threatening diseases!! What they provide is priceless!!

(I just hope that none of my kids are ever dx'd with something that qualifies them for this program) Seeing stories of kids granted wishes sure makes me happy that I'm dealing with D vs something else.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

T1D is considered to be 'life threatening' and thats why it qualifies.

7. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

can you pls throw some more light on this...not very old in US..this is totally new to me ..thanks

8. Flutterby

I'm glad she's getting a wish, how very exciting. Our kids deal with so much on a day to day basis, they deserve a wish. :cwds:

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have to respectfully disagree -- this is a very manageable disease and I can't imagine very many endos saying otherwise...

I agree that our kids have a lot to deal with, but I don't put them in the same category as a child with a terminal illness that isn't going to live. I could never allow my child to take a "wish" away from someone that really deserves it! Our children can live very healthy and productive lives!

10. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

Congratulations !!! Thats GREAT !!:D
    I thought about signing her up, just haven't gotten to it yet. I think I'll give it a shot now:)

11. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

I'm so happy for her! My daughter got a wish from another organization when she was 3. T1 is considered life-threatening as, unfortunately, I'm sure some parents here can attest to. Emily also has multiple life-threatening food allergies, some of which she is contact reactive to. The smile on her face and the excitement as she went through the process was priceless. She wished for a slide and has gotten years of enjoyment from the playset that was given to her. On a bad day, when her blood sugar's way off and she's feeling bad or when her friend told her their parents said she can't go to their birthday party, she still talks about how something special has come from having D. We've taught her that she can do anything and lead a normal, happy life. But the truth is, living with D is hard sometimes, especially when you're little. And while Emily doesn't have a terminal illness, she'll have D for the rest of her life (she was dx at 2 so that's a long time). I'm glad she got the opportunity for something good to happen for a change.

Good luck thinking of a wish! Take lots of pictures, it'll be a great memory to look back on!

Kelly

Emily 7--dx @ 2
    Kaitlyn 3

12. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

I was heavily involved with volunteering for Make A Wish for a few years.
    Type 1 is considered life threatening and Make A Wish, A Wish Come True, The Starlight Starbright Foundation, and many more organizations all recognize T1D as life threatening. Each organization has an established set of medical criteria each child has to meet. Kids with T1D do meet that established criteria.

Also, one child receiving a wish NEVER takes a wish away from another deserving child. Multiple wishes are being granted simultaneously, so nobody has to "wait" their turn. If a child is terminal, the process is sped up.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  13. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I have a friend whose daughter has a form of spina bifida. It is something she will live with, something that doesn't shorten her life expectancy, but something that does require monitoring on a yearly basis, and sometimes requires surgery to untether her spinal cord from other organs in her body. She isn't on medication, is fully ambulatory, etc.. She qualified for Make A Wish, and had a delightful trip to Disney with her family that they never would have been able to afford otherwise. I think "life-threatening" is different than "terminal illness."

14. Flutterby

This thread should NOT have been turned into a debate on whether or not a child with diabetes deserves a Wish. Obviously the organization agreed that this child deserves the Wish, otherwise, they wouldn't have granted it.

If you didn't agree, you shouldn't have posted.. Start another thread that is a debate thread on whether or not a T1D kids should get wishes or not.

15. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I am very happy for you and your daughter. This discussion has occurred on the board many times and has been somewhat heated. Whether you would choose this for your family or not, please, let's all just be happy for the OP.

Congratulations!

16. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Congratulations!
    I know my daughte would wish for a "date" with Nick Jonas or the Suite Life Boys!!!:p:p

17. Flutterby

Yes, there is a difference.

18. Toni

Toni Banned

I think it's great that Type 1 children do qualify. I was under the impression Make a Wish was just for children with terminal cancer and I am glad Make a Wish also covers children with Type 1, cystic fibrosis and other illnesses. Regardless of how "healthy" a lot of parents think their children are, it takes an enormous amount of work to keep them that way daily. A lot is asked of Type 1 children and the lifestyle imposed is one that no child should have to deal with. Make a Wish obviously does recognize that. Curious to see what the wish will be; make it a good one!

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

I wasn't aware that T1D kids could qualify and have to wonder if those that donate to such organizations are aware of this.:confused: Thanks for the info! :cwds:

20. 4kids4me

4kids4me Member

Caspi, I respectfully disagree with your disagreement!:p Yes, this disease is manageable in a perfect world, but it is VERY deadly! My daughter died at onset...there are children that die from the disease EVERY day in countries that are not as blessed as ours with available treatment and care. So...like I said, I disagree very strongly with your analysis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.