advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailing insulin...packaging questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Michelle'sMom, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

What's the best way to package insulin (for mailing) to make sure it's kept cool but doesn't freeze?

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

The way it comes to me from the pharmacy is in a styrofoam cooler with frozen gel packs.

3. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Ditto to teh above post!
    I actualyl kept the last styrofoam case just incase we ever need it for something like this.

4. Michelle'sMom

I haven't done mail orders for our insulin so far, only the local pharmacy. I'm going to be shipping out some extra that I have. I want to make sure it gets there in good shape.

I think I can come up with a styrofoam box. The frozen gel packs--are these like the ones for first aid use?

5. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Ours always comes in a small box and inside of a baggie, and another baggie with 2 ice packs in it.. We have never had it freeze and most of the time when we get it the ice packs are not frozen anymore, but it's never been a problem..

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

These are the ones my shipments come with (the first one). I'm not sure the first-aid kind would stay cold long enough.
    http://nordicice.net/nordicice.php

7. Michelle'sMom

Thanks Carla. What about dry ice? Is it possible to package the insulin, maybe using bubble wrap or something similar, to protect it from freezing?

8. Toni

Toni Banned

This would be great. Medco packages a three month supplie with one gel pack, wraps it all in bubble wrap and put it in a plastic envelope. I have requested two gel packs, and they now said they would do it, because one row of insulin is not covered by the gelpack.