- advertisement -

Mail order insulin overnighted or 2 day shipment

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I was first told Medco would overnight insulin, now one person told me it might be 2 day shipment. Really?
    Would this be safe?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

When I inquired about mail order, Medco told me it would be 2 day shipment, packed in a cool pack.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I buy my son's insulin locally, but I know it is possible to send items in the mail and have them arrive cool. We received a frozen ham from Wisconsin that took 2 days to arrive and it was still frozen solid, as were the ice packs.

4. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

Our insurance uses Walgreens Mail Order. I got Sloan's insulin from them once. It was shipped overnight with cold packs. I will never order from them again though. The cold packs were still frozen solid when it got to the house. I can only imagine how cold the insulin got. I'll just suck it up and pay $15 more a month to insure we have fresh insulin.

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

May depend on time of year and how long it sits on your porch I might think. Ours was always okay sent from Medco - A-Plus not so much.

6. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I'll be ordering a 3 month supply of penfills via mail order and I am a little concerned too because of the cold temperatures in the Midwest. I'm not concerned about the actual shipping but if the insulin is delivered early and sits on my doorstep in single-digit (Fahrenheit) temperatures all day until I get home, I wonder if the packaging would protect it from freezing.

The first thing I would do is to open every package and inspect each vial/penfill. I have an infrared thermometer and will check the temperature of the insulin.

7. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

We have been doing mail order insulin for 4 years. They have always been packed with ice packs. I have only had one vial of questionable insulin in that time. I could not say that the shipping caused the bad insulin. I did not know at the time we were supposed to throw out the insulin after 28 days. So, I think the "bad" insulin was in fact just old.:rolleyes:

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Where are you getting your thermometer? Will you point at he glass vial or outside box?
    We are being forced to use mail order. I would pay more to get it local if I could.

9. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Our insulin always comes from Medco overnight even with Saturday delivery if applicable. Test strips come from them 2-day delivery.

10. bluedevils_fan

bluedevils_fan Approved members

We use Medco for insulin. It comes in a very thick well insulated "envelope" in the winter and it's never been frozen. In the warmer months they put it in a small cooler with ice packs. We've been using them for 4 1/2 years and NO bad insulin yet. Usually takes 2-3 days to get the shipment.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

They told me ours would ship from Ohio. I wonder if that is where yours is from?

12. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

We use mail order through Medco. In the hotter months, insulin is shipped overnight in a cold pack. In the cooler months, it comes in a 2 day shipment. We've never had a problem with bad insulin receiving it this way, although in the summer I do have to watch for the UPS delivery because he will just leave it on the porch. In Texas heat, that's not a great idea!

13. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

We have used Medco for 3 years now and have had now issues at all. When the weather is warm, they pack the insulin with ice packs inside a very thick thermal pack, and when the weather is cold they use the same thermal pack with packs (not frozen). The weather here in Western Washington isn't as extreme as other areas of the country, so if you are concerned about heat or cold, you can always put a cooler on the porch the day you are expecting the package and leave a note for the UPS or FedEx person. Our driver just knows to hand those directly to me. If there is ever an issue with the insulin, you can discuss it with Medco - they are good (IMO).

14. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I use an infrared thermometer for a lot of things. It takes good inner-ear temps to check if my kids have a fever. They are relatively inexpensive. Sears carries them in their hardware department. Other hardware stores carries them too.

I would point it at the glass vial. The outside of the box does not really matter. I would be concerned about the temp of the insulin and since the thermometer can "see" through the glass, it should give me a fairly accurate reading of the insulin inside.

15. bluedevils_fan

bluedevils_fan Approved members

Yes. We are in Ohio. We are actually close enough to the facility that I could drive there myself. HOWEVER, it still takes 2-3 days to get to us as they use UPS and they are in NO rush to deliver it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011