- advertisement -

Maddening comment of the day

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by funnygrl, Dec 2, 2010.

1. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

At a nursing message board I belong to, one of the members posted a news story about a 5 year old on a pump who's parents want teachers or assistants to be able to bolus for the child's lunch if she provides carb counts. The school isn't allowing it.

While many of the comments were ignorant, all but a few people thought anyone besides a nurse or a parent should touch the pump.

However, this comment took the prize:

"Correct me if i'm wrong...but in order to be a candidate for a pump isn't the child supposed to be OLD ENOUGH to manage the pump himself...?!?!? Seems to me like this pump was handed out in error."

Uhm, wtf? It drives me nuts when people are so ignorant, yet have strong opinions on subjects. Another person asked why he isn't on nasal insulin. WTF, these are nurses! Very disheartening.

2. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

That's a good one. It really makes me lose faith in the healthcare system when it's the health professionals who are so completely ignorant. I can see not being an expert in every field, but there should be an overall knowledge of most conditions. And diabetes is certainly not a very obscure one...

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Simple, I WOULD CORRECT HER.

4. funnygrl

I did, with references!

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

One thing that helped me deal with this issue was coming to terms with the fact that most people simply don't know very much about diabetes. Mainly because they don't have to live with it 24/7 like we do. I remind myself that before dx, I was just as ignorant as many people I now come in contact with.

I also remind myself that this lack of knowledge reaches across the entire spectrum, family, friends, doctors, nurses, teachers, strangers on the Internet, etc. It knows no bounds. The best we can do when we come across this is to educate those willing to learn and move past the ones who are not. But I do understand your vent.

6. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

This is true, but she's saying like she IS knowledgeable, not asking a real question. I can hear the tone of her voice now:rolleyes: There are some really good nurse's out there, but there are also a lot of know it all no nothings that act like jerks kwim?

7. funnygrl

The "seems to me the pump was handed out in error" part is what really got me. Uh huh, you should be second guessing this kid's endo cause he isn't independent bolusing yet. But really, Christopher, I do largely agree with you.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm glad you got to educate. with references.:D

I think that, though it is because most people ignore the nitty-gritty of this disease, and that's totally fine, it is the unwarranted comments or advice which are annoying. I know, personally, I don't go and say something which may offend someone (in RL:eek:) and I kinda expect the same, kwim? But that's not how it goes most times.

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

This is what got to me...

"Correct me if i'm wrong...but in order to be a candidate for a pump isn't the child supposed to be OLD ENOUGH to manage the pump himself...?!?!? Seems to me like this pump was handed out in error."

She could have said...

"I thought you had to be old enough to operate a pump to be on one.(Confused tone) Was I wrong in my thinking?"

10. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

"handed out"....like they are standing on street corner giving them out for free!?:confused:

11. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Christopher, I agree with you. Before dx I knew nothing about D. However, I do think that doctors and nurses should have some level of understanding of most conditions. And the fact that D is reaching epidemic proportions makes me think that all medical professionals should know more.

I don't know, maybe I'm just in a fantasy world :rolleyes:

12. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I'm glad you corrected him/her

13. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My sister in law who is a nurse told me that I was testing my son way too much! Nice, huh? :eek:

14. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

LOL!! If only!

15. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Sort of like the food samples at Wal Mart. They aren't supposed to give them to children...

16. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Where is this street corner? I am going to get in line.
    Oh shoot then I have to find the next street corner to get the free supplies to go with the free pump.:D

17. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Well....the corner is in sort of a seedy part of town....the guy wears a trench coat and while you are there, you can talk to the "ladies" who hang out at the corner.:p

18. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Just find me the street corner where they hand out CGMS and I'll be happy :D

19. funnygrl

Did some of you find the thread or something? All of a sudden other people are jumping in, agreeing with me.

20. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

That is just insane.. that ocmment is pretty much like saying a child shouldn't be on insulin unless they can inject it themselves! In many ways I would think that a pump makes things EASIER for caregivers...