- advertisement -

Lumps in feet she needs surgery...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by BCmom, Aug 10, 2011.

1. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

I haven't been here for sometime. Just kept getting depressed about pumps and Em not wanting one.

But we have had other issues, and I am going back to school.. ete etc..

But the latest thing is Em had a lump growing on her foot, the MRI just came back and the doctor wants it removed but is unsure what it is. But removal will make it clear what it is exactly. In the meantime another lump has started growing on the other foot. So he wants both removed at the same time. And she will need plastic surgery..

So looking for support. I am so worried! Have any of you dealt with something like this?:confused:

And how does a child with diabetes go under general anethesia? How do they NOT eat etc.. and deal with surgery...:eek:

What the **** next?:(

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee has bumps on her feet that are from her dropping her pump.. they are really funky, been there for a few years now.. endo checks them out every time we go in and says it'll disappear eventually.. They aren't grown though.. they do move around.. very weird..

I hope its nothing series and the surgery goes well and is over quickly!

3. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

So sorry Em has to deal with this, I know it is scary, especially the unknown. But she will be fine! Do you already have a date for the surgery?

Jenny had a major surgery (to remove a huge liver tumor) and diabetes was never an issue. For the surgery they usually take the diabetic patients first, like really early in the morning. During surgery and for the first 2 days after they had her on drips and her bg was great.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm sorry she needs surgery. I've seen some great posts here with how folks handled surgery for their kids so you may want to try a search - or perhaps repost with a different title (like "surgery advice"). I know there can be issues with how the hospital wants to handle diabetes and how the parent prefers to handle it so good to get it all worked out beforehand if you can.

Is it outpatient surgery?

I hope all goes well.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

So she drops her pump on her foot enough to cause bumps?

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

So sorry, but you'll be in good hands at Children's

I've had many surgeries, ask them if you can assist in her diabetes management. My mother did before I was of age, and my husband and I have done it since. I've never been in a childrens hospital for care, but I've found with most nursing staff in general hospitals they're happy if you do your own care unless DKA. I do always print them a care letter, which I have on file and makes neccessary changes when needed.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yeah, that sounds weird - I drop things on my feet all the time and I get some pretty impressive bruises but I've never gotten permanent bumps.

It's not that difficult.. usually they have you reduce your insulin so you will run a bit higher. They can also give sugar through the IV for lows. The biggest problem I've is that if you don't bring your own meter and other D supplies, they will test you on THEIR schedule... give insulin on THEIR schedule, and that usually doesn't work out so well.

8. skimom

skimom Approved members

My son just had surgery for impacted wisdom teeth last week under a general anaesthetic. I contacted the endo ahead of time, got instructions as to what to do( eg lowering basals, etc etc) He also was the on call endo for that day and left specific instructions that he was to be contacted if there was any concern re numbers. My big concern is if they go low during time when not allowed to eat before surgery - obviously you treat the low and with clear fluids, notifying the surgery team with the time and amount of fluids taken - Endo said as long as it was at least 3 hours before surgery, shouldn't affect the surgery.
    THings went really smoothly and we just let my son run a bit higher until we were sure he could hold down liquids etc post surgery.
    The other recommendation from the endo is that I was to assume testing, dosing, pump changes etc etc until the anaesthetic had completely worn off so that there were no mistakes or misunderstanding made ( my son is 20). The surgeon and anaesthetist monitored blood glucose and tested during and after surgery as per endo's instructions.

9. CoopersMom

CoopersMom Approved members

Are they like extra bones? Cooper has had 3 surgeries for his extra bones. They took wonderful care of him at the hospital. They did not disconect his pump. He was able to have clear juice(like CapriSun) for his blood sugar since he went a little low. I hope everything goes well :)

10. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden has been under general twice since dx. She was taken in first thing in the morning, and we had permission for her to have clear liquids until 4am if she ran low. I checked her bg every two hours starting at 8pm the night before.

11. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

Foot surgery is very tricky. I wouldn't do it without more of a concrete reason for it. I recommend getting a second opinion before getting this surgery.

12. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thanks everyone... I am glad to know the D won't be too big an issue, and yes I was worried about lows over night, so hopefully clear juice will be an option if necessary.

I talked to our Endo, they will hopefully have her in children's and if they do the endo on call will be there for her... but if she isn't there, we will have the surgeon contact our Endo directly so they can discuss protocol.

The lumps are not bone but on top of the ligaments. The thing is, the MRI couldn't determine what they were and so they really want them off just to make sure it isn't anything sinister. A plastic surgeon will be on hand to repair the feet immediately after removal... so it will all be a one step procedure.

For those who have had surgery under a general anethesia did they keep you in the hospital longer because of D just wondering? My two other children (non D) have had minor surgeries and they are sent packing almost as soon as they wake up! LOL.

13. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

No, there is no need to keep our children longer, just because they happen to have D. I guess they assume (and rightfully so) that you know how to handle the diabetes aspect ones they release your dd.

14. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Ds had general anesthesia for surgery - no problems. We were instructed to use glucose tabs for any lows (there were none). Surgery and healing went well as a person without diabetes.

Check in with her endocrinologist on the surgery and how possible
    lows are to be handled.

15. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Just wishing you and your daughter the best! I'm sure it will work out just fine! Here's to a speedy recovery! Good Luck!

16. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'm assuming they know there's not liquid in there? For example, something like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

It's too bad they can't do something less invasive to sample the tissue before full surgical removal under general.

Have no info for you, but wanted to wish you guys the best for the procedure, and lots of ice cream afterwards.

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

When is the surgery?

I would ask your endo team to talk with the surgery team so that everyone is on the same page. That's what ours did when my son had surgery last year. All went well, despite me not being prepared for the post-op waking, which was "belligerent".:rolleyes:

If possible, see if they take her in first.

Good luck!

18. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've been under general anesthesia three times, all of them with diabetes. In none of those cases was the diabetes a problem. I took less Lantus the night before for the two that weren't emergencies, and didn't correct slightly high blood sugars. My blood sugars stayed in the 180-240 range during surgeries- we decided not to correct for blood sugars below 200 and to only give small corrections for numbers in the 200-240 range.
    My insulin requirements following my gallbladder removal were pretty low and I had a hard time eating, but that was after the surgery.

I was not kept longer in the hospital than I would have been otherwise, but I wasn't exactly rushed out either.

P.S. The anesthesiologist monitored my blood sugar in the latter two procedures. In the first one, the anesthesiologist told me she would only check my blood sugar if the surgery went really long, which it didn't. That made me uncomfortable but at the time I didn't feel like pushing it.

19. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

I am so sorry that your daughter has to go through this. ((((Hugs)))) I wish I could offer more support, but I am not sure exactly what it would entail with surgery.

20. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I had that on my foot on top. The foot guy sprayed cold on it and injected a pain shot, which hurt, and sucked it out with a giant syringe, which also hurt. But it was gone and never came back. My dd with D has what looks like a second ankle on each foot. They are symmetrical and have been like that since she was very little. I've never had it looked at and she seems comfy.