- advertisement -

Lugging around your glucometer....

Discussion in 'Teens' started by faithe113001, Dec 4, 2005.

1. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

Hey, I've got a question for you girls. How do you carry your glucometer around? I keep it in my purse, but is there any other way you guys know of so that you can have it with you and not have to stuff it in your purse? Or do you know if a company that makes a good purse that you can keep all your stuff in? I just shop around till I find a purse that can fit my meter in it along with everything else I need. But it is sometimes hard to find one. The one I am currently using works pretty well, but it dosen't have a whole lot of room in it. I don't want to have to lug around a really big purse either. Any suggestions? Comments? Experiences?

2. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Hey, Yeah, I too lug all my stuff around in my purse. I absolutely hate it, to be honest, if I didn't have to carry all my bs (blood sugar) testing supplies and insulin and such around - I would only grab my wallet and be good to go. ...however... as you well know - the meter and all that are too much (in my opinion) to put in a pocket. I hate bulgy pockets. I wear looser pants anyways, but still. I don't like it. So, I do carry a purse around. And I try my hardest to find the smallest - yet stylish to my eyes - purse that works for everything I need.

Before I buy a purse I usually shop around for awhile. In order to find one with enough room, yet small. I like to keep it organized as best as possible ( I do *not* like to just throw things in the bottom of my purse); keeping diabetes supplies in one space and everything else in another. So, I like to find a small one with at least two pockets. ...It is hard to find a good one. So, when I do find one -i like to get it as soon as i can - cause, I like a change, and will switch between purses when I get board of one - and it's rare when I can find one that will work well for my needs... anyways. I'm rambling. - I'm alllll done with school today until Jan4th! yay!

3. faithe113001

Yeah..I know EXACTLY what you mean!! Finding a functional yet stylish purse is really hard. I'm the same, if not for diabetes supplies, I'd only have a wallet in my pocket. And I agree, all your supplies are way too much to have in your pockets, it almost drives me nuts to have a few mints or cough drops in my pockets! So, yeah, we're all in it together!! :)

4. munchkingirl

Yep, the few mints, or cough drops, or jolly ranchers, or change... allll a bother in the pockets.

Which makes me wonder... I am excited and nervous - I start on the pump tomorrow morning (9am my time), I see you are on a pump. Do you know how you handled your first week - few days on it? I'm supposed to go get a christmas tree and all that tomorrow too with my family... I dunno... And how did you get your pump start done? Did you go into a hospital for it? Or did you just set up an appoinment for it? ...sorry for so many questions.

Have a good day!

Beth

5. faithe113001

Wow, that's great that you're starting on the pump!! I am happy to pass on my experience with it! Well, I made an appointment with my diabetes educator and she got me going with it. For the first few days it was almost 24/7 on the phone with her, trying to work our kinks with insulin to carb ratios, sensitivity and basals. My first week was kinda crazy too, it was state fair week, and my brother, sister and I all showed sheep that year, so we were staying at the campground. So, here I was at the fair in a camper, with all this new stuff to get used to...it was quite the experience. :) I even had one time where my cannala got bent and my sugar was 400-something and headed north quick, I had no idea anything about bent cannalas or anything that could have been causing this, so I was scared. But it's good that you are doing it this time of year, try to live life as normal the first week or so, that'll help you get everything worked out right away. It takes a bit to get used to wearing it, but now I've had it for three years, and have almost walked away without it on a few times. It'll seem bulky at first, but like I said, after about a week or two, I'll get used to it. What kind are you getting? Let me know how it goes, good luck!

6. munchkingirl

Faith, Hey, thanks so much for the reply. I'm getting on the Animas 1250. My insurance covered that one or the minimed ones. I liked the look and a lot of the features better (though, i really like the cozmo one best.).

Actually, "getting" isn't quite right anymore. I just today had my pump start appoinment and am all hooked up and pumping! :) It has been fairly smooth thus far. I have been rather very worried, having read and heard some stories of the pump start day/week being very difficult with a lot of lows or too many high's. I havn't gone low yet, though I felt like it once. And it's been really cool - today is the first day in a long time that my bs's have been under 200 for more than 2 tests. So, I am very pleased right now.

Wow. I had no idea that cannulas could be bent. ...do you know how that happens? That sounds like a super crazy week for a pump start, to me. ...My week may be a little crazy (though, not crazier than normal, sadly). My family wants to do all the christmas decorating - then I am supposed to go and spend the night with my boyfriend and his family (he lives 30 minutes away from me, and gas is high, and being college kids - it's just easier if we spend the night at eachothers house on a weekend sleeping on a couch.) and help them do their christmas decorating too... so... it'll be kinda fun. ...I don't know where you live or anything, but it's getting to below freezing here all week during the day time hours - will the insulin freeze or get hurt in my pump after being outside for a couple hours, do you think?

Well, thanks for the good info! Hope to talk to you soon!

Beth

7. faithe113001

Awesome, glad you're off to a good start! I've heard good things about the Animas too, even though my loyalty lies with Minimed :)

I think that the cannala gets bent on the way in, when you first insert it. I had to do the set change without the serter, and I probably didn't use enough force when I put it in manually...I think that's how mine happened. Whenever it gets bent, it happens when you put it in.

No, you shouldn't have to worry about it freezing. I live in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, and we get way, way below freezing temps. I've been sledding, ice skating, and shoveling snow and I've never had my insulin freeze. As long as you're in warm clothes you should be good. How are you wearing the pump? I usually wear mine in my pants pocket, and it's been fine there. If you get worried about it, maybe you could stick it right next to your skin.

Talk to you later!

8. munchkingirl

Ick. I have decided that i am a whimp. I have to take out my cannula for the first time today. They are kinda gross - even though they do really really cool things for me. I've only had 2 readings over 200 since getting on the pump. My infusion set is the "inset" so it pretty much inserts it for you - really cool so there is a consistant depth. So, I am really pleased about that.

Hey, Thanks a lot for the freezing info. (sorry its taken me a few days to get back to ya, i keep coming to type - and get interrupted.). That night after I read your reply my family and I ended up being out in below 0 weather for over an hour, And my insulin is still good.

I am wearing my pump on my belt on my hip. I wore it that way too when out side the other night, but it was under my winter jacket, so I figured it would be ok. I am still playing around with different ways to wear it, but so far it's suited me just fine to wear it on my hip. I'm not ashamed of it or anything, so that's not a problem. I've heard it is for some people.

Thats happy to hear the you've done all the cool snow stuff with the pump. I plan to a lot. I love to sled and ice skate. I also got a used snowboard for christmas last year that i haven't used yet. :( maybe this year... heehee.

Were you worried people would treat you differently when you got the pump? I wasn't worried before I got it. But then after gettin it - see, my boyfriend and dad and brother all love to play kinda rough (i have three brothers too) and they have been really really careful around me lately. I talked to my boyfriend about it - that i don't want to be treated differently and all that and he said that's ok. But there is a little bit of being more cautious anyways. ...

Well, i've gotta run. Talk to you later!

Beth

9. faithe113001

Aw, you're not a wimp! I used to be super cautious too, thinking it would hurt or be gross or something. I would pull off all the adhesive around the actual set, then cautiously pull out the set. Now I just grab the top of the adhesive and sorta pull the whole thing off in one quick motion. But don't be ashamed of doing that, it takes time to get used to it.

Good, glad the temperature thing is working for you. And don't worry about having to be super cautious. I lost count of how many times I've dropped this thing! Of course it's never really a good thing to drop it...but it won't die if you do. I've also had it drop when it's still connected to me...kinda hurts when it pulls on your site, but the site has never come out.

I was kinda worried about people treating me different. I wasen't ashamed of it either, but still kinda wondered how people would react when I pulled it out of my pocket. Most people in school and in my church/neighbors know what it is and why I wear it, but I get interesting reactions when people that hardly know me see it. It's kinda fun to see the different reactions...usually when I get a negative one I just smile and kinda laugh. I don't really care what they think, usually those reactions are from people that I just met or hardly ever see. So it's not such a big deal what they think. People who I'm around a lot usually get used to it, and if they don't, oh well. If they don't like me cause I wear a pump, they're not worth my time!

Talk to ya later!

10. munchkingirl

Well, I am pleased to hear that it does get easier to do the site change. It was pretty weird when I did my first on friday, but it's all fine and no problems that I see yet. So - its cool so far.

Heehee... yeah, I've already had it drop twice while connected to me - and pulled on my site. It didn't hurt - I was very concerned though that it was gonna pull the site out.

Well, church today was kinda fun. People have known me a very long time- and those that actually asked were very excited that I had gotten a pump. That was kinda cool.

I had a real bad low last night, my bs was 41, I've had lows in the 30's before and one were all my meter read was "low" but I haven't had any like that for over a year. So, it was kinda interesting. I think I just overestimated the carbs in a cinnimon roll - usually they are like 50 gms I think? ...I dunno. Anyways,yeah. That was kinda fun.

Talk to you later!

11. faithe113001

41...that's pretty low! I've had it in the 30s too, the first time it was ever that low I didn't even feel it, just was a before lunch check that I caught it. Never had it to where the meter said "low" before though. 50gms seems about right to me. But who knows... sometimes it seems your bgs have a mind of their own! My sugars have been kinda low these past couple days, I've been trying to make carb ratio adjustments, then I made basal adjustments, then I switched them both back. Now instead of being constantly in the lower 200s, I'm in the 80s and 90s. Like I said, mind if it's own....

Ya know, I think instead of using this a kind of a chat room, maybe we should e-mail each other? I check my email much more often then this forum, and it wasen't really designed for chatting like this. Just a thought... insulineater@yahoo.com

Talk to you later!

12. munchkingirl

Heehee. Good idea. I was thinking about that today too. Anywho. Yeah. I'll do that. Talk to ya later!

13. kitty

kitty Approved members

Hi!
    I have bad hypoglycemia and use a blood glucose meter once a day. I use a MediSense Sof-Tact meter.

When I was in high school and college, I used an daily organizer by Medport that was about the size of a small purse. This organizer held my meter (at the time was an Accu-Chek Complete meter), lancing stuff, emegrency glucose, logbook, and a emergency ID card. If you take insulin, it will also hold tons of syringes and even has a cooler part for the insulin. This organizer also had a loop on the bottom to carry it around easier (I hooked mine to the back of my wheelchair). Mine is dark pink, but they make other colors too.
    My mom got mine at Wal-Mart for about $5.00

The only thing I found now is that it won't fit really large meters, like the MediSense Sof-Tact meter, but most other meters should fit in there easliy. Hope this helps you out!!

Jessie:)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  14. Whitney

Whitney Approved members

Purses....

When it comes to lugging around all of your diabetes stuff such as insulin, meter, shots, ketone sticks and all that good stuff a girls gotta have a purse! Not just any purse either it's gotta be something cool. :cwds: It may be hard tryign to find a purse for all your "diabetes stuff" after a while though you learn to shop around that or atleast I did. Good luck! :)

15. faithe113001

Thanks Whitney, I know what you mean! I don't want to carry around something with the brand name of my insulin or my meter on it, or anything else like that. Finding a stylish purse that will fit everything you need in it is hard, and I agree, you just need to keep shopping! :)

16. Whitney

Whitney Approved members

Hey your welcome. No problem. I don't know anyone my age with diabetes. It's so cool to be able to talk to you all. I feel like I can relate to someone, it's so great! :D If anyoen of you ever wanna chat just add me to yahoo or msn. :)

17. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I use a small toiletries case for my diabetes supplies. (I got a really nice one from kipling) It is much less "medical" looking. Did anyone ever use that thing that sort of holds your stuff together (but it is not an actual case. It goes inside a purse or bag...) I never used it but maybe it is a good solution:) When I carry my meter around I use the case that came with my meter. It is small and black and people always mistake it for my camera case...:)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  18. munchkingirl

I used to always use the case that my meter and alll of that came with - but then I got sick of it for awhile and just threw everything into one small, yet convenient pocket in my purse which has worked quite fine as well. So, now, I use either one. That is a *wonderful* idea to use a make up deal for supplies. I *never* even thought of that! I need to go find one now! Heehee. Thanks for that wonderful tidbit:D !!

later!

Beth:D :D

19. faithe113001

I'm very excited...today at WalMart I found a purse that I love!! It's by No Boundaries, it's got lots of room in it, but it's not bulky. I got it for about $9, it's light brown/canvas type of thing. It's got a cute little buttoned pocket on the front and one on each side. They also came in pink, pink striped, blue, blue striped, and light brown striped. Just thought I'd share my new news....:)