- advertisement -

Lows with colder weather?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Well, my two boys have been having more lows since the weather finally got colder here. It always seems weather does affect blood sugars. I have been having to turn back basals for about three days in a row because of these lows.

Anybody else seen this with the weather change?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

yes dropped from 8 to 7 units a few days ago. She has had lows at school after recess too so had to adjust ratios a bit too.

3. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I have my daughter running at -80% today. I've never gone that far off her normal basal. I haven't scaled back her insulin fast enough these past few days. So I'm rage-withholding, if that's a thing.

4. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

We see this every year. Usually we will have a cold snap that will catch us off guard and have a day where he goes really really low. Then it's hurry up and back off on the basal.

5. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I'm thinking it's because the body works a bit harder to keep warm...maybe? Who knows...but, yes...our rates have changed a little as the temperature drops.

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I've always thought that anything that requires one to regulate their body temp mOre causes lows. SwimmIng and sledding are our worst activities for that.