- advertisement -

Lows...When do you panic?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Jun 19, 2010.

?

What number make you head for the juice a little faster?

1. 60's any low upsets me..

18 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 50's I'm running for juice

49 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. 40's OK now my blood gets pumping

47 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. 30's I don't panic until now

24 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I get carbs in the 60s, but I panic for carbs in the 50s and 40s. Our time in the 20s she was falling asleep and I had to run her up the hill in the snow ("Fat old lady running! Everybody watch out!"), so that was a pretty weird looking panic.

Now, ask me what number I start sniping at my poor husband, that could be in the 70s. ("What are you doing sitting there?! I'm testing her, you RUN for the grapes! What's wroooooonnnnnnggg with you. . .. . . . ..")

:D

2. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

I dont really start to panic until she is hitting low 40s or high 30s. Given I feel a bit panicky when ever she is low be it 68 or 55, but I dont let her see me panic unless its lower cause then she starts to freak out if I am and I dont think its good for her to be freaking out as well. I like to keep her calm when she is low.

3. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Same here. Christopher can be fine in the 30s, and had a seizure in the high 40s. What scares me most is that he's usually asymptomatic.

4. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

We had our first experience with this last night. Checked him after a day of swimming before going to bed (or at least I thought I was) and he was 41. When I tried to get him to drink something it was really hard to get him to take anything. Took 40minutes and over 60 carbs just to get him back on the other side of 70. We've seen 40's occasionally, but it was how lethargic he was that really made me nervous.

5. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

:D:D Too funny! :D:D

6. sariana

sariana Approved members

I do not think that I panic... But I do move a bit faster to get her something...

She was 29 once and I was upset so much that I called the Endo right away. That was when she told me that under 50, the meters are no longer truly accurate. So where as it said 29, it may have not been that low... or perhaps lower. I guess the meter companies figure that any age would give free carbs to 50 and under so they do not worry about being precise.

She seems to be ok when she runs low to be honest. I have told my dad about her lows and he is amazed cause he is usually comatose at those lows...

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I said 30's but really ...it depends! A 60 with 5 units on board is more scary than a 50 with no IOB. My girls hardly show symptoms even at 50 now. They really feel bad at 30's though. Saying that, Morgan and Zoe have both been in the 20's and walking and talking just fine!

8. Brendan's Mom

Brendan's Mom Approved members

I do not think that I panic... But I do move a bit faster to get him something...
    He seems to be ok when he runs low to be honest. So we have doing a new teaching game. When he check his bs, he hold the meter to see the number first and then tell me how he feels and then tells me what we should do. We started this 2 weeks ago he is learning how remember how he feels when he is low. Its getting better.

P.s. do not react to low or high bs, they will be affected by it. so that is why he takes a look at the meter first before me, daddy or the school nurse. :(

9. Bill

Bill Approved members

I tend not to panic these days, just move a bit faster to get the juice box. Perhaps because we have just survived year one, I start moving faster at 60. At night, we find it takes about an hour with treatments and re-testing before we can get back to sleep if he is 60 or below.

Last night was a balancing act with two of our children. Liam had a low (in the 50's) and Xavier had a stomach bug that caused he to go to the toilet all night. So I was holding the milk cup for Liam to sip with a straw as he (sort of) slept, and Xavier cries out, "Daddy I need someone to wipe my bum." Mom was sound asleeeeeeeeep, and this began a long night.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Sorry you were up dealing with both of those at the same time, but it was awful sweet and nice for you to let mommy sleep. :)

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Yea, panic was a strong word, I meant going for the juice with more urgency...

Not only are you a good daddy but a good hubby too! :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  12. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Really, none of the above. 30 is still only 1.7mmol and I've seen Emma get lower than that many times. I think my point of panick would be if I couldn't get any sugar into her and would have to resort to glucagon.

13. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

My Panic button is when I can't function, have been 60 and couldn't function, have been 18 and can function!