- advertisement -

Lows...When do you panic?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Jun 19, 2010.

?

What number make you head for the juice a little faster?

1. 60's any low upsets me..

18 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 50's I'm running for juice

49 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. 40's OK now my blood gets pumping

47 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. 30's I don't panic until now

24 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

What number makes you start head for the juice a little faster?

Your answers are not public, at least I didn't mark the box to make them public...

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

below 60, of course also depends on active insulin.
    His lowest was at a friend's house, I had just dropped him off and he tested within 5 min and was in the 30's----not only did I not suspect it, he didn't bother to tell me until a few hours later:rolleyes:

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Anything under 60....

4. Heather(CA)

There's a poll, could you guys put your answers on there? Thanks :)

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I already did.

6. Heather(CA)

Cool thanks :)

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I chose the 50s, but it's all relative. If there's active insulin from a meal bolus, then it bothers me more than if it's right before a meal. I still would treat 50s before a meal, but would not be "running" for the tabs, rather I treat it, let him have a meal and underbolus as well. If that makes sense.

Outside of meals, I am more aggressive, for lack of a better word.

Obviously anything lower puts me on an even more hyper-vigilant mode.

8. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

My answer was 40's, mainly because Jayden normally feels her lows right around 60. If she's gotten as low as something that starts with a 4, we have a big-time problem! That means either she was in a deep sleep and didn't wake up, which means she could have been low for a couple of hours, or she was in the swimming pool, which means she is probably still dropping and it will take a while to get the number stable!

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm fine until 40s. Even then, I wouldn't say I panic so much, I just know I've gotta get the juice in ASAP.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I used to panic at 60 - now I wouldn't say a really panic anymore. But I start rushing for the juice in the juice in the 50's.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

40's is when my adrenalin kicks in.
    50's I'm mad that I messed up somehow or not.
    60's I'm wondering how it snuck up on me.
    70's and up is a "well, huh" moment.

12. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

I voted for 60's. David feels low at 70's so depending what he is doing/has been doing, if there is any IOB, at 70 we reach for 2 onces of juice, at 60 we go with 4 onces. (15 grams)

13. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I'm probably gonna be in the minority..but I dont panic, no matter what Chell's blood sugars are. Chells digestive issues is treated entirely different in what others do, and how to respond to them with and with out IOB.

Michelle

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Honestly, it depends on how she's acting.. she could be totally fine in the 30s, but completely loosing it in the mid 50s.. so, my reaction really depends on how she's reacting.

15. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

This is us too - Hanna had a 46 the other day and I was in the shower! :eek: She came calmly to my bathroom to tell me she was 46 and had drunk a cup of juice - what else did she need. I told her to take a tab and lay down on the couch asap! I was so proud of her for knowing what to do and still being able to treat herself - she's not typically that low and this one snuck up on her. I did tell her next time she could just pop a few tabs (at the end of her bed) and yell for a sibling to come and get me if she didn't want to walk.

16. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

For me it's not the number but how Phillip is acting/feeling. If he's feeling really bad that'll make me grab the juice faster. He's been 1.1 (19) and acting fine, and been in the 3s (54-72) and been really shaky and feeling crappy.

17. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I panicked the first time I saw something in the 30s, and especially the time I saw LO. Now, I just don't panic at all. Its more a frustration than a panic. Emam doesn't feel her lows so its up to the CGMS and periodic testing to catch them - thus the reason we still see the low #s. But really, I have gotten to the point that I don't have the energy to panic. I just treat and move on.

18. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I don't think I can vote anymore - it looks closed but my answer would've been 50. Also depends on IOB. OOOOPs - Voted now - just saw the voting place.

19. Heather(CA)

I don't get the hurry up feeling until the low 40's. But Seth has had D for over 7 years now. That probably makes a difference kwim? He's not in the forty's very often so when I see it it surprises me.

20. Heather(CA)

Hmmm, weird, I didn't close it. Does it stop on it's own?