- advertisement -

Lows during soccer practice

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by s0ccerfreak, Mar 22, 2007.

1. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I play soccer on my high school's varsity team. During practice i'm low constantly, no matter how little insulin i take or how much food i eat, i just can't seem to get it to come up(which makes me very mad cuz i can't play grrrrr) It gets to the point that by the end of practice i am sick of food or when i do practice i feel like i'm going to throw up because i've eaten so much. Today i was low soo much that by the end of practice-low again- my mom couldnt get me to eat or drink anything cuz i felt so horrible, finally i drank some real mt. dew and my numbers came up. This is just so frustrating. Anybody have any ideas of different types of foods or anything else that might help: i've been using juice boxes, gatorade, pb crackers, nutrigrain bars, granola bars, and trail mix
    Thanks

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The trick is to start with a higher blood sugar and food already in your system.

You didn't say if you are on the pump or not. If so, perhaps you should try cutting way on the basal rate 3 hours before practice starts and keep it low (or off) during the practice.

An hour or so before you eat, consume a meal with complex carbohydrates (like pasta with protein) and don't bolus much or at all for it.

3. s0ccerfreak

I am on the pump. I set a temp basal (50%) from 12:30-1:30 then at 1:30 i suspend my pump and leave it like that till after practice(3:30-5:30). I can have a bg of 200 at 2 and still end up low during practice. I also eat a 15-gram snack around 2:30 without any insulin.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Timing is the issue. You need your sugar to be in a rising mode when you start exercising to help counter the exercise.

Perhaps a larger (up to 60 grams) unbolused snack closer to your practice would work. 2:30 is pretty far out and the extra sugar is just going to your urine when you BG is 200.

5. Grace

Grace Approved members

I wish I had some good advice for you! My son (15) is going through the same thing right now. He's also only been dx for a month, so he's had issues with his weight loss and missing the first two weeks of training. :(

Sometimes I don't think the nurses and dieticians in his clinic understand the amount of energy expended in a typical soccer practice. I know my daughter, who has always played softball until this year, is stunned by how much more physical soccer is.

One of the younger dieticians (who is D herself) suggested drinking Gatorade all the way through practice (15-20 min intervals) in addition to the things you're already doing. Don't know if this is the "magic" cure because he hasn't been to practice yet this week

Good luck!

6. tennismom10

tennismom10 Approved members

Tennismom10

My daughter plays tennis and was just in a week camp. This is what I normally do for her. Always make sure he eats a good breakfast in the morning. I make sure her blood sugar is at least 200 before starting the activity. Sunny delight bring up the blood sugar pretty fast if she's getting low and she will eat pretzels because of the salt content, helps from the sodium loss from sweating and helps prevents cramping too. Pretzels are also a really good carb that helps to level off her blood sugars too. Two hours into practice her blood sugar is taken. What I have found with gatorade, it's not enough to keep her blood sure elevated when she's dropping. I need something to works on the lows quickly. Peanut/jelly sandwiches are good too. I always keep orange slices to for her. That works well too.

7. T-Dubb88

T-Dubb88 New Member

Although soccer is over now (unless you play club) I also played this fall for my high school. I usually took my pump off completely and ate something like peanut butter crackers AND took a Gatorade that i drank instead of water. The protein is good for staying in your system longer and should help keep your sugar up as opposed to gatorade which will help you immediately by raising your sugar.

8. s0ccerfreak

thanks for the ideas, actually our season is not over yet.... we have atleast 2more weeks

9. droaneco

droaneco New Member

Lows/Pump and playing soccer

My daughter was on the pump and had a lot of trouble controlling her sugars , especially during tournaments and long practices. If she was controlled well at the beginning, she got low, but if she started high, she sometimes stayed high or became way high.

We have found that Lantus is an excellent component of the pump use. She gives herself 1/2 her daily basal rate as a shot of lantus at night, and we set her pump tp deliver 1/2 the basal rate for that 24 hour period. We find the lantus seems "gentler" and doesn't give her those lows, but combined with exercise, it keeps her from popping up during longer periods off the pump.

She plays at the elite level, so of course she doesn't want to be pulled out of a game. This seems to be a very good combination for her.

10. studiostu

studiostu Approved members

I had a similar problem in my teens... continuing into my '30's, when I used to do long-distance bike riding. I finally resolved the situation by treating myself as if I had low blood sugar BEFORE I actually was low. During biking, I would keep a 50/50 orange juice (or, Gatorade) mix with me... and, drink a few sips every 10-15 minutes. I would also have something fast acting (such as raisins) every 30 minutes or so. Of course, you'll also want the bran-bar types of carbs for longer-acting impact.

This was years before I ever got the pump; so, today I would also adjust my basal rates to go along with this. I'm now 52, and, I have a much greater problem with uneven digestion -- and, delayed insulin activity. I can be be exercising 4-5 hours after a morning bolus - with BG in the neighborhood of 200 - then, plummet rather quickly well into the double digits. To counter this, I eat something during the activity (My new favorite is Clif "Shot Blocks" -- electrolyte chews. You can get them at outdoor/adventure stores... such as Eastern Mountain Sports. ) -- even if it seems too soon. That seems to help prevent the problem.

I also now have the Real-Time Sensor. That's a whole other story. However, I will say that - despite mixed feedback - it CAN be very useful for seeing TRENDS (such as steep BG declines) when you'd least expect the event to occur. I've had mixed feelings about the Sensor; but, it can really seem worthwhile after it's enabled you to prevent a low BG crisis from taking place.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

We're on MDI, and my daughter is in synchro swimming not soccer BUT:
    - we likewise can go in at 200 and be low by the end of practice even though she has lots of carbs in the middle.

At first we tried to overload with carbs, but we found for her the trick was in reducing her insulin the day of practice. So she gets her breakfast bolus and NPH which will be working until mid-afternoon, and a purposely underestimated lunch-time bolus so she is running a bit high by practice time with no basal active.

In your case, it gets trickier with the pump. Not sure you want to reduce insulin any more. So I would experiment with Gatorade. Drink it in lieu of water, and keep track of and record how much you drink. Try 2 bottles next practice. If that's not enough, increment up to 3, etc.

I used to be a distance runner (with no D), but the carbs really go down there. Ran into a few bad lows myself, but found Gatorade would always bring me up fast and keep me up.