- advertisement -

Lows during class

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by ccarrol4, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

Hi! I started feeling low halfway through class today. I left the room to check my bg, which was 63, and to treat it. By the time I was feeling "normal" again, class was over. Anyways, I was wondering, how do you handle situations like this? Do you leave the room or do you treat at your desk? I emailed my professor to see if, in situations like this one, he woulld prefer for me to leave the room, or if it would be okay with him for me to check/treat at my desk. I'm waiting on his response.

2. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

I guess it would depend. If I was in a big lecture hall, I'd just stay there. Smaller classes, it would depend on what's more disturbing to the class: leaving, or being low. In my experience, that's what's bothersome to profs.

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I test and treat without leaving class.

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I would test and treat in class and let your professor know ahead of time if it's a small class and it would be noticeable.

I know my son was going low in a large class just recently. We were texting. I was telling him to leave class to get a soft drink and to return. I don't think he had a meter with him - he also didn't have anything to treat the low at the time. Since then, he carries a juice box with him - and even since I gave him glucose tabs to keep in his little pack. I have told him to always have those items with him - but he never would really listen to me until he had a dangerous experience such as this one time.

He never tells his professors of his diabetes - but in this case, I would think it'd be appropriate.

5. Nana

Nana Approved members

I always treat in class. And nobody never notices :) If the professor would notice, I would explain to him/her after class.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm registered with the office of students with disabilities. On the first day, if a professor states or has a no eating policy on the syllabus, I speak to him or her after class, and then head to the office of students with disabilities, which sends that professor (or professors) an email stating that I have permission to test my blood sugar and eat snacks (no meals) in class.
    Only about a fifth of the professors have policies like that; the rest I don't bother to tell that I have diabetes. If I need to eat, I eat.

7. Armyemily

Armyemily Approved members

Well I am majoring in Nursing... So if we are in a classroom then I do it there. But if we are in the clinic then I test there and treat out in the hall... Since I major in nursing it is a good teaching time and my professors don't mind. Also if I am out in the hall for more then 5 mintues someone will check on me.

8. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

I've always just testedin class, popped some glucose tabs and been on with it. It is more disruptive to leave class and come back than it is to descretly test. I'm a senior and have never had a professor or other student comment. When in chem lab I'd leave, but never during a lecture course.

9. ehm1989

ehm1989 Approved members

I have a granola bar on me at all times, so if I start feeling low, I just test and treat right there in class. If I'm feeling dizzy, I just put my head down until it passes.

10. Breanne

Breanne Approved members

Breanne

Im graduating from College next Friday (yay!!!), and I spent my first 3 years at school dealing with it all on my own (after getting an F because I was low during the final and my prof didnt give me the opportunity to make it up....), and one of my profs made me register with the disabilities office.
    I did...and o my god, you get such PERKS!
    1.) I got a notetaker for every class: If I missed class, or if I was low, I miss no notes.
    2.) I get extra time on my exams (usuallydon't need it, but you never know when you are going to be super high or low)
    3.) EARLY REGISTRATION!!! Big deal if you go to a public university (like the UC system in CA)

11. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I posted this in another recent post in the parents of young adults forum regarding preparing for college w/ d. This is a problem every student/parent must consider. It was very bad, and it could of been prevented.:

There's only one important piece of advice I have to add:

Tell your professors/TA's you're diabetic. During my first semester of college, I passed out (bad hypo) in the middle of a 500+ student class. Everyone thought I was just "very sleepy". I never had a bad hypo, until this incident. The class ended, and the next class came in, and the class pretended that everything was ok. At some point I briefly regained consciousness, and told the girl sitting next to me that "my blood sugar was very low", and then I passed out again. She didn't think that it was anything serious, and pretended that everything was ok. About halfway through THAT CLASS, the girl sitting next to me raised her hand and FINALLY told the professor that I was "really sick" an hour after I passed out! The professor was furious at the class, but he understood that a misunderstanding occurred. He and my professor don't let anyone sleep in their classes anymore. Actually, during class, about usually halfway through the class I was "discovered" in, I heard the professor would jokingly say "time to check to see if the person to the left and right of you is still conscious!!!!" and the class would actually check to see if everyone was still awake. It was funny

The best thing to do, I guess is to register with the disabilities counselor on your campus. I personally requested to be seated close to the professor, and to have all of my professors informed about my D. I know some people with D do not consider diabetes a disability, but if you get sick, the professors will sometimes only let you make up work if you're registered with the Disabilities Center. It's also really a safety issue. My situation could of been prevented-if the professor(s) were informed prior to the incident. Students will leave other students unconscious, because they will think you are drunk or something like that! It happened to me!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  12. xstaybeautiful

xstaybeautiful Approved members

In this situation I have always left the classroom and checked/treated whatever the problem was in the hall. In my opinion, you are not paying attention to what the professor is saying while checking your bs and treating it and you may be distracting other class-mates as well. However, if that is what you prefer I definately don't think your professor would have a problem with it. I have never met a professor who had a problem with me doing whatever I needed to do during their class (which sometimes meant leaving and coming back in or not returning for that class). Just make sure you communicate your reasons to the professor if you have to leave a class altogether so that they do not assume you just blew it off.

13. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I test and treat in class. I did inform my professor at the end of the first class that I was diabetic and I might need test or eat in class. He said he didn't have a problem with it.

14. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

I would do it in class. But when you are low you miss information.They also have a voice activated recorder that I just picked up from walmart. It doesn't just record, you can download it onto the computor and burn it to a disk. Comes with ubc cable. It was about 38.00. They had other one's there that allowed more time but you couldn't download it so be careful when you purchase one.

Good luck to you.

Tami

15. mysnackrifice

mysnackrifice Approved members

I keep the beepy thing shut off on my glucometer and test in class and treat in class. I generally sit toward the back/wall, so I just kind of do the elbow shield thing, kind of like you did when you were trying to keep the other kindergartener at your pod from cheating.