- advertisement -

Lows...but not your lows

Discussion in 'Teens' started by malyssa, Apr 19, 2009.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

So, my uncle has been a borderline type 2 for a while now. But recently, his blood sugars have went haywire...like he was 400+ last week one day, and his doctor FINALLY decided to put him on medication. He's really having a rough time with it, and I feel horrible that he has to deal with the finger pokes and everything, because I know how it feels. Granted we have different types of diabetes, it's still a PITA no matter which way you look at it. Anyway, to get to my point! He has been eating a lot better, healthier, and he's been testing a few times a day, which is good for someone with type 2 (most type 2's I know test once a day...or week! :eek:...that right there shows you that there is a HUGE difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes!) Today he had his first real low. He was driving, and he called my mom and told her that he felt like he was going to pass out. He was having hot flashes, and then would get really cold, he was sweating, and all that great stuff. He wasn't sure what to do, so my mom said to drink some juice, but he only had chocolate on him---yeah, not good for lows---so he stayed on the phone with her (he has a Mercedes with the built in phone that comes through the speakers or whatever because he works for mercedes, so don't worry!!) and he pulled over and grabbed a soda and ate some lunch. One hour after he ate, he was 136. Not a huge spike like he was having, and he still felt crummy.

Oh, btw, his blood sugar was 55 mg/dL, pretty low. :eek::(

I was at work when all of this was going on, so I didn't find out until I got home...and it just freaked me out, ya know. It just scared me...thats my uncle, and I know how it feels to be in that situation. Low, nothing on you, ALONE...it's scary, and I'm just really glad he's okay.

Do you guys ever get like that? Like, when you hear about another person with diabetes having a bad low or something...does it kind of upset/scare you or anything? Like...even when my best friend has a low, I am like "OMG, are you okay, why didn't you have your meter with you instead of downstaires, why didn't you test before you went to bed!?" (yeah, thats a story- she feels low at 2am so she gets up and her meter is downstaires, so she crawls down the staires, and is in the 20's...I almost had a heart attack when she told me this :eek::() Sorry for my rambling, but I just wanted to get that out. :cwds: