- advertisement -

Lows at night - anyone use a reusable juice box?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof1CWDinohio, Nov 6, 2013.

1. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

Like a lot of people on this board, when DS has lows at night, we always give him a juice box to bring him up. He drinks them without waking up.

I've been thinking lately that we seem to go through a lot of juice boxes, and they are not recyclable, at least not around here. I found some Rubbermaid reusable juice boxes online. Does anyone have experience with those or have any other environmentally-friendly juice box ideas?

I feel like diabetes in general produces a lot of waste, and I was looking for an area where we could safely reduce what we throw away.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We always found that they spilled and you couldn't always get all the juice. We used to use a sippy cup or a regular cup with a straw.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We go back and forth. If we have juice boxes, I'll use them, but if not, I'll use a regular cup. I buy one pack a week, but they are pilfered as regular drinks by my 4 year old or are packed for after school activity snacks for all of the kids, so if it's Tuesday, it's likely a juice box, if it's a Friday, it'll be a regular cup for sure.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We use juice boxes because they are shelf-stable. It seems to me that if you want to reduce your packaging waste you could just use a cup and straw. Filling your own reusable boxes might save a few moments of measuring, but unlike a juice box you can't leave them on a night table, in the shower, in a locker, nurses office, backpack, sports bag, car glove box etc etc.

If we're home we generally just use a cup but for the 80% of times and places where a juice might be needed, the boxes fit the bill.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yup - you can even use a cup with a lid so it doesn't spill...no need to reinvent the wheel with this one ;).

6. shannong

shannong Approved members

I just pour juice in a cup with a straw. I usually don't want him to have a full juice box anyway so I have always measured it out and given it to him in a cup.

7. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. Beach bum

We have good results with these too. Target or Walmart has the best price on them.

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Costco carries the plain applesauce ones, too.

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

For lows at night we use juice boxes. We keep them in my son's room so I don't have to schlep down the stairs to pour a cup. Call me lazy if you will. ;) He has also become such an "expert" at drinking from the juice box without totally waking up that I wouldn't want to change our routine.

And sorry to sound so politically incorrect - but the last thing I'm thinking about at 2 in the morning is the environment. I want to treat and get back to bed and for us that's using a juice box. ;)

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

the gogo sauce things aren't available here. If I'm looking at squeezable fruit tubes - is there anything in particular to look for - 15 carbs or so obviously but just straight apple will do?

12. Beach bum

We just use the straight apple. The ones we get run around 14g cho. I mistakenly got some the other day which run 20.

When Abby is low she gets very funny about how things taste, so apple is plain and the best bet for her.

13. Beach bum

When my daughter would take juice boxes, this is what we did. I didn't want to run the risk of rushing downstairs only to find that we were out of them. This way, I always knew we had a stash.

I have to say I am in total agreement with you. At 2am when my kid is low, the farthest thing from my mind would be if I could recycle or not. During the daylight hours yes, but not when I'm bleary eyed and stuffing my daughter full of juice. So, can I have a seat on the politically incorrect train too?

14. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Too funny! :)

15 carbs would be too much for ds. If its a mild low (65-70ish or above) I usually just set a temp basal instead of feeding him.

If you are treating night lows often enough that you are worrying about the environment, maybe your basal is too high. Just a thought.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

Really?? I'm glad you have this whole D thing figured out. ;) After 7 years dealing with this, in our house there are times that there is no rhyme or reason to the #'s that happen in the middle of the night. Glad that isn't the case for you though.

16. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We buy a big jug of grape juice and use a sippy cup. It's almost 5g carbs per ounce so I can get biggest carb bang with least amount of juice. She never wakes up when I shove the spout in her mouth

17. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

I'm not sure why, or how, but juice doesn't work to bring Gregory up anymore. We use Level Glucose Gel Packs now. It brings him up really fast but not too high. We love it, does anyone else use it?

18. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I love them. Too pricy for everyday use for me but target sometimes has them on sale and then I buy a bunch. As far as low treatments go, they are by far the fastest thing for me.

19. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

At first Hana was ok with the Level because it was something new. But she doesn't like them now. The one good thing is they are flat, so she will carry one or two in a pocket when running a race. They are pretty expressive though.

20. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

Thanks for the comments, everyone. We may try the sippy cup/straw option. And re basals, his needs seem to change as often as the weather. We've even started doing basal tests to see if his basals are ok, but each day is different:(.