- advertisement -

Lower basal for school?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by manda81, Aug 16, 2011.

1. manda81

manda81 Approved members

In your experience, have you had lower basal settings for during school hours?

My son's numbers are hovering right around 80 during the day right now, and we're totally happy with that. But with this being his first year of school, I don't really know what to expect. Do you typically have a lower basal setting for school hours?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have found that the basal is usually ok, but the bolus needs to be changed for school.

3. Andii

Andii Approved members

My daughter needs lower basals day and night when school is in session. YMDV, but I would play it safe the first week of school. Good luck!

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My sons basal rate needs to be increased for school due to lack of activity. YDMV

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Same for us. I always have to lower in the summer, and raise when school starts.

6. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

My DD started last week and had several lows. I did have to lower her basals just a bit. Yesterday, she wasn't low once during school and was in range.

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Yes, they need less because of the regular exercise they get at school...

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

DS started school last week and has had way more highs since the first day of school (we're adjusting basals up). I thought his needs might go down because of the extra "brain power" he's using or the excitement of something new, but nope. It's his first year of school on the pump, which I think also makes a difference for him.

I just sent him to school without making changes and prepared with extra snacks for lows or extra insulin for highs. You just have to figure it out by trial and error.

Good luck with school! :)

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Same with us. I have no idea what to expect once school starts next week, but we have a great nurse and we'll just have to make adjustments after teh first few days, week, etc.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee's basals are usually increased when school starts because she's getting less exercise.. she's going from running around all day to sitting all day, it definitely makes a difference.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Same here. We generally see a big jump in basal and I:C ratios too. Funny she is also very insulin resistant during school year in the am, this summer we haven't seen it at all. If only it could stay that way!
    I have to add if it's hot the first few weeks she will need less as the schools don't have AC. Once the weather cools is when we see the jump in insulin needs.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have to lower basals for school. It's funny how it's different for different kids.

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Mine, too. The first few weeks are a time of adjustment.

14. Phyllis

Phyllis Approved members

adjusting basal rates at start of school

We send a big bottle of tabs and testing supplies as a safeguard. After several days we check the numbers on the meter to see if there is a pattern of lows or highs and make small adjustments until the numbers smooth out.

15. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We're definately doing this. I've already got his teacher & all of his specials classes baggies made up full of tabs, fruit snacks, smarties, juice boxes, etc... so that no matter where he is, they will be there. He will have testing stuff in his spibelt, and tabs in his pockets as well.

Thanks guys for your views. I was thinking it would be a for sure thing that we would run into lows, but I'm glad to see that may not be the case, and I will leave things where they are for the first day & see how it goes. :)