- advertisement -

Low vitamin D levels

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Bigbluefrog, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

I take Mercola's supplement which is 6,000 a day I believe.

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I was tanning quite a bit but not using any product on my skin when I went in. I never got particularly dark even though I went often. My vitamin D levels did normalize during that time.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The ultraviolet rays are just as dangerous as the products used to create the tan. IMO, not worth the risk to even enter a tanning salon...go natural.

4. skimom

skimom Approved members

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

"Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day. Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor and only for a short time."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d-toxicity/AN02008

6. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Correct, mine is taken once a week at 50,000IU and it D 2. I need to be retested to avoid toxicity.

fat soluble vitamins can produce toxicity in large quantities, water soluble vitamins the body can eliminate quicker through water and kidneys.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Correct.

We are on 50,000 once a week for 8 weeks, then need to stop and be retested.

8. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

low vit D associated with breast cancer.

I'm on 10000/day D3 to try and get mine in60's . started out at 30. I pair mine with my fish oil-you want the omega 3 kind-not the 3-6-9. omega 6's cause imflamation. I have tons of energy now.