- advertisement -

Low GI foods at breakfast?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by greenpalm, Aug 19, 2013.

1. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I'm totally intrigued--can you share the recipe?!

2. OTs

OTs New Member

Dry curd cottage cheese + unsweetened unflavoured all-natural yogurt + a teaspoon of preserve/jam or blueberries, raspberries etc. 20 g of carbs it contains give us a barely noticeable (on Dexcom) BG rise.

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

This is purely personal anecdotal "advice" on something to try. It seemed to help with me, but may not for you... but if you ~really~ want to try to give that breakfast cereal so desired...

Try almond milk instead of regular milk. Sounds weird, I know. Also as almond milk contains (practically) no carbs you will need less insulin to accommodate this option as well. I think it may be that more people are (mildly) allergic to cows milk than we realize ~or~ its just the combination of just that few less carbs with that little bit of extra fat that the almond milk provides to stabilize things.

Anyway, for some reason the spikes just don't seem to happen (much) when I don't use the regular milk.

Note: I get the UNSWEETENED vanilla flavor for things like cereal, oatmeal etc. You may find that they wont like it as a "drinking" milk (I do though) but in other stuff it's as good or better than regular as the vanilla flavoring add the feeling of a little extra sweetness... with no actual sweetness involved.

[edit:] As a side note... I like Almond Breeze brand MUCH better than Silk. Just seems to "look" more like regular milk and has a less chalky taste... but YMMV

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  4. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I'm a firm supporter of low GI foods. Not just good for diabetes but for everyone in general. My daughter barely spikes with her usual breakfast which is almond flour pancakes and apples. I still prebolus (15-20 minutes). Prebolusing has been a tremendous help with spikes, as well as better food choices.

Cereal has never worked. We see 300-400s then 50s. No cereal for us.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Another method to match the insulin with the rise in sugar from cereal is to pre-bolus for the cereal (up to 30 minutes) and add insulin for a snack at the same time. Eat the snack 2-3 hours after breakfast without any extra bolus.

I am of the same opinion as others in that the American diet has more carbs than are needed to be healthy. Everyone's body is taxed with extra carbohydrates. We shouldn't be feeding our kids - even those without diabetes - whatever they want, but concentrate on carbs from veggies and dairy and low GI fresh fruits.

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My daughter has been able to avoid the spike from cereal with using soy milk in place of regular skim milk. She always had a breakfast spike before I read about soy milk here and gave it a try. She didn't care for the almond milk. Her favorite used to be Cinnamon Toast Crunch also, but she gave that up years ago. It was just impossible. She can eat any of the Cheerios and most other cereals without spiking now, but she only eats whatever the serving size is. And her ratio for breakfast is quite a bit higher than the rest of the day. She often eats cereal for a bedtime snack also, and that ratio is much different, but still no spike. Her high is set for 160 on her Dexcom and it doesn't alarm unless she is not at good number when she starts to eat.

7. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Fresh fruit like various berries, a banana, etc. . . are a great breakfast choice for my daughter. Low GI and healthy. I can't do protein in the morning because it causes after lunch spikes, and high GI in the morning is a nightmare, as many can attest to.

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Yes. Even when we had K down to 10g of carb for breakfast with plenty of protein, he still had wicked spikes. Eventually, I clued in to the fact that 1/2 a cup of milk was a common denominator in all of his breakfasts. I started serving him almond milk (the sweetened vanilla stuff at that!), and it has made a real difference! During the rest of the day, regular cow's milk works just fine, but it does seem to cause issues first thing in the morning.

9. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Everyone says that oatmeal is a great food for the morning but honestly for us, it is as bad or worse than cereal. It seems as if no matter what I do in the morning, and no matter what my daughter eats she has a terrible spike. On top of that we are on MDI, so there is not as much controlling it with altering the bolus etc. We have a difficult time getting the pre-bolus down during the week. On the weekend, we can totally be on top of it and do it right and it still doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I hate that alot of people deal with this, but at least I feel better that I am not alone.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Certain cereals work better for us. The low sugar plain cheerios and rice krispies are big spikes for us. The Low GI revolution book helped us. Special K works well for us. Instant oatmeal is horrible for us. Too fast absorbed. Old fashioned oatmeal when you add your own raisins works best for us. Frozen french toast and waffles work well for us too. We use Cary's sugar free syrup.

I always give 48 carbs up front then reminder at when they sit down to eat. The 48 carbs is giving while I am putting breakfast together.
    We still may have some spike but I don't think you can avoid it totally. For a time We had no spike and terrible lows after breakfast

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  11. Dave

Dave Approved members

Why not bacon and eggs? You know, if you research it, high blood sugar causes complications. My son wakes up at 85 pm 10, has his eggs and bacon and a .5 unit of insulin and never goes above 100 according to his CGM. I cant believe a parent would feed a child lucky charms. Diabetes requires parents to make tough choices and to learn how to make scrambled eggs.
    :D

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Why not bacon and eggs? How about those with a family history of heart disease?

Do you realize how judgemental you sound with the above comments?

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Since you know everything, I'm shocked that you haven't discovered the research that shows that our kids are more prone to cardiovascular disease than the general population. Having an a1c in the 5s doesn't do much good if you keel over from a heart attack at age 40. Seriously, I cannot believe that you are touting a daily breakfast of bacon and eggs as a healthy choice for anyone, much less for our kids. http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/type-1-diabetes/complications.html So, you know, if you research it, you'll find that your super duper bacon and eggs diet is a bad idea.

I know you've got this all figured out, but for anyone reading who actually wants some food for thought.... Even if you eat the healthiest diet in the world at home, at some point you will lose control over what your child eats. If you think he will turn down Lucky Charms at a friend's house or pizza at the mall with his friends, you are frankly delusional. You need to learn to dose for these foods so that you can teach your child how to handle them.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Well heart disease does run in our family. Their grandfather had a heart attack two years ago. One son hates eggs. When you have teenagers you have to let them eat sometimes not eggs and bacon and what other kids their age are eating. I can't control that I am not with them all the time. Even with the Lucky Charms(heaven forbid ) once in a while, both sons maintain low 6.2, 6.2 A1C's. The Low glucose revolution book also mentions Frosted Flakes as a good GI food. Oh my.

Warning if you ever send your son to Diabetes Camp. They serve surgery cereals at ours!! They treat the kids normal . THey don't make them eat non carb foods...

Oh , I do know how to cook eggs and bacon. I just would not feed that to my kids everyday.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Your D kid eats and your D kid never goes over 100. Ok. Enjoy this. Or better, don't get too used to this. The "magic" you are working right now won't work for long, no matter how carefully you avoid carbs. And if you keep pushing the food police routine you have two possible outcomes; either your kid grows up a little and ends his honeymoon and all hell breaks loose, or you raise a human being who cannot navigate the world of travel, social interaction, learning the pleasure of serving food to friends and lives with you till you die. Unpleasant choices, imho.

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

but he'll know how to scramble eggs. So that's something.
    :rolleyes:

(that's the roll eyes smiley. It's not satisfying, at all.)

in any case, this thread is from August. I'm sure the OP's moved on.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Oh, yuck... a necropost. :rolleyes: (unsatisfying rollie) hate those.