- advertisement -

Low for Three Hours :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kimmcannally, Jul 3, 2011.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

(Crap, image won't work for some reason. You can see it if you click the link in my signature. It's just a Dex at 50 for three hours)

I woke up to this ^ graph on J's Dex this morning. Apparently he has been under 50, dipping down even further than that just before I woke up. Looks like he has been hovering at this level for three hours.

Why was he low for three hours? There is the question. He was low because he took his Dexcom out of the box I put it in every night. Every night I put his Dexcom in a plastic box with a wireless microphone. When he goes low or high, the Dex vibrates (this one has apparently quit beeping and only vibrates). The vibration is picked up by the microphone and amplified into my room, where I can hear it and come take care of him.

I have no idea why J took the Dex out of the box last night, no idea why he turned the microphone off. But he did. These are the days that make me wonder if he will even make it to adulthood. I can't stay awake 24/7 to take care of him.

Why? Seems to be the question of the day. Why would he turn off the microphone? Why would he take the Dex out of the box? Why can't he just obey me when I ask him to do the simplest of things? Why?

Agh! :mad:

2. LJM

LJM Approved members

Ah yes, 14 does make you wonder if they will survive to adulthood. Their brains just don't think ahead to consequences of their actions very well.

At that age he probably just wanted an uninterrupted sleep and did not think of the possibilities and danger.

3. kimmcannally

I don't know, it's not like the microphone wakes him up. It wakes me in my room, but pretty much nothing wakes him up. :p

He was on the floor this morning too (asleep). Is it possible he had a seizure and then recovered on his own without glucogon, or am I just being a drama mamma? It's just the first time in years he has "fallen out of bed" and been found on the floor in the morning.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Is he able to communicate with you about why he removed the CGM, or tell you what happened during the night?

Hope he's feeling well today. I'd be drama seeing that line, too -- seems to me, though, that there's some hope his body rescued him a bit since it's an even line and he didn't fall to LOW. I'd carb him up good today to restock his glucose supplies. Watch for lows later, I'm sure you know, for us lows lead to lows. . . .

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Can't ever be sure, but I really doubt that he had a seizure. For 2 reasons, really:

1) It would be very unusual to have a seizure from the BGs that he had. They are mostly higher than 50.

2) Seizures usually cause a sharp increase in BG. At no point did his BG go up by a huge amount.

It is possible that the falling out of bed was caused by the low anyway, though. I know I sleep more restlessly when I'm low or high, increasing the likelihood of something like that.

To be honest, I see nights like this way more often than I'd like. I need to get some kind of amplifier because I don't wake up to the alarms, and I have a lot of overnight lows, unfortunately.

6. kimmcannally

Thanks Guys :) Yeah, I kind of doubted he had a seizure because he was only in the 50's but he did have a sharp dip lower just before I got up. I just didn't know if a seizure might be induced by being that low for several hours.

Emma, you should get an amplifier then, it's not good for you to do that kind of thing night after night. :(
    Have you tried a baby monitor or even a bowl of pennies to amplify the noise? I read on here that one mom puts her kids Dex on top of an upside down metal bowl and it wakes her without need for amplification!

IIRC, you are using MM so do you have a Guardian unit or could you get one? A lot easier to amplify something you aren't wearing :)

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yep, it's when I'm wearing it that's the problem. Right now I'm on Lantus so using the pump kind of like a Guardian unit, and if I stand it on a plastic lid which is balanced but not attached to a plastic box, it vibrates really loudly and I wake up. :p

8. kimmcannally

LOL we certainly have some creative thinkers on this board! I love it!

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

What did he have to say? I'm thinking he did it in his sleep, or at least half asleep. Is it poss. it was going off them he turned it off?:confused:

10. kimmcannally

Oh, sorry I forgot to update. He told me he was planning to stay up a while longer, then he fell asleep. :(
    I'm guessing he planned to go into the den and play his xbox or something, so wanted to take the Dex with him, which is great, but not so great when he ended up falling asleep.

He has a very erratic sleep schedule. He used to stay up all night and sleep during the day, we finally got him back on a normal schedule, then he had a cousin over to spend the night, they stayed up all night, and we are right back to staying up all night. :mad:

No more sleep overs here! Anyway, he did well and stayed in range for the rest of the day, with us keeping a close eye on things and lowering basal as needed before he dropped too much.