- advertisement -

Low cost supplies

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bgallini, Jan 6, 2012.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Sorry for the cross posting in advance... Can someone send me links to low cost diabetes supplies like test strips, needles & insulin? Alex knows a young man with T1 in Oregon with no insurance and they are looking for ways to cut costs.

Thanks

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

If he is under 18 and low income there is the Healthy Kids plan. You can google it and start the application on line.

3. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Thanks for the ideas. Alex isn't sure how old he is (he's the boyfriend of a friend of his) but we're pretty sure he's over 18. Btwn the ideas here and some I found elsewhere and by googling, I've sent a nice list. I hope it helps him. And I've kept the list b/c Alex is 21 and only has a few years left on our plan (or less than one year if Eric Cantor gets his way.)

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Sanofi, Lilly and Novo Nordisk have programs where they'll send your doctor free insulin and pen needles and glucagon for you if your income is below a certain threshhold and you have no prescription insurance coverage (and you fill in the forms).

Getting cheaper test strips is harder. Some of the test strip companies offer free strips only for patients at certain clinics (I am on the consumer board of a health clinic and can tell you that this is government subsidized/mandated - if a health clinic serving certain populations requests drugs for its pharmacy, it gets them at a much reduced price).
    There's also the Together Rx Access program which gives a discount card to people with no prescription insurance who are not eligible for government programs.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i know that you can get a walmart ReliOn meter for $8.88 and 100 ReliOn test strips for $36.00. We had to buy 100 strips out of pocket, because our new insurance dropped us from 300 strips per month down to 200 strips.

Has your son's friend applied for medicaid?