- advertisement -

Low Carb Sweets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Aug 11, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

What are some yummy low carb sweets. We don't eat a lot of desserts,but when we want something sweet,what are some free sweets. Sophie hates sugar free jello

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Why not give insulin for the carb content of the dessert she wants?

3. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

We do,but since she is on MDI she has to choose if she wants the food badly enough to take the shot,we just feel like that is a horrible choice to make as a kid,and a free sweet would eliminate that

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

"I" am loving the Fiber One 90 Calorie Cinnimin coffee cake / lemon bars / brownies.

They look so small but with 5 grams fiber (out of 18 total carbs) they are actually filling. I plan on having these be her am snack the first week or so of school, but they easily fill that "sweet treat" option. (and are great with coffee for us adults)

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

How many carbs count as "free" for you? I usually keep a big box of regular popsicles in the freezer, but they have 11g. The sugar-free ones have 4 or 5, I think.

7. moco89

moco89 Approved members

8. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

We make Crystal Light popsicles.

9. Northwoodsmama

Northwoodsmama Approved members

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Frozen cool whip topped with diet root beer.

A few chocolate kisses. (can't recall exactly anymore but I think he used to get 2 free maybe??)

11. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

The bags of pieces candy that have protein and fiber like Reese pieces you get 51 for 25 carbs each piece is just less than a half carb with protein and fiber. A few of them hits the spot sometimes. I did not look up any other kinds but I would think ones with nuts would work.

12. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We made tons of meringues using splenda instead of sugar. They never quite have the crunchy consistency, instead they almost are like a marshmallow! Egg whites and splenda...virtually carb free! :)

13. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

meringues cookies (our grocery store sells them in the bakery dept) and the red, white and blue rocket Ice pops are 10 carbs.....

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

Frozen little banana chunks rolled in melted chocolate and nuts.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We do root beer floats. Diet root beer with a scoop of low fat vanilla ice cream (we use Edys) or frozen yogurt. Also, you can use a smaller scoop (1/4 cup) and that right there cuts the carbs down to around 15.

An "un" ice cream sundae. Whipped cream with sprinkles, nuts and cherry. Again, you can keep this around 10-15g by going easy on the toppings. You can throw a banana into the mix too though it does increase the carb count and glycemic index of the snack.

Rice cake spread with either PB or flavored cream cheese and sprinkle of mini chocolate chips.

16. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

Our snowcone stand sells a few flavors of sugar free syrups. We could bolus for the snowcone, but we usually just let her have the sugar free one, because it's just easier than the GIANT dose of insulin a real sugar snow cone would require.

17. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

A mom at my D group said she buys sugar free syrup, and then bring a small container of it to our local pool. They sell sno cones there and instead of bolusing for the ones they sell she just uses her own flavor and the kids get to have sno cones like everyone else :)
    Frozen cool whip makes a great ice cream substiture for those days with stubborn highs, we also do celery with flavored cream cheese. He loves the berry cream cheese and it's only like 2 carbs.