- advertisement -

low carb, high protein

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2kenny, Sep 30, 2008.

1. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

got any ideas for a fairly low carb high protein snack for school?

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Nuts and cheese come to mind. How low carb and how high protein do you want?

3. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Cottage cheese, cheese sticks...Peanuts, or peanut butter..

4. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

Beef jerky?

Protein bars? Be careful, though - some of them are loaded with sugar - I suggest Pure Protein or MetRx Protein Plus.

Nuts? Almonds especially?

Trader Joe's Low Carbohydrate Pecan Spice Bread?

Cheese? A lot of kids love string cheese. It's not the healthiest thing in the world, but it is low carb and has *some* protein in it.

No sugar added yogurt?

Dry Roasted Edamame? (Basically roasted soybeans)

5. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

Kenny has been dropping low around 12:30 at school(1 1/2 hr after lunch) I am sure it is from gym at 7:30-8:12. I have upped his lunch ratio from 1:7 to 1:12, so i thought if i added some extra protein he may not see the drop. After treating the low, he has been eating 18 gr af pb crackers, but he still drops. I don't know!!!! maybe up the ratio again instead? He has been taking a lot less insulin lately. We have steadily been adjusting the lantus and humalog. with the 2-3 day wait time between changes, we have been adjusting for a while now. He went from 47 u lantus to 32, and his ratios were 1:5. 1:6, now is 1:10 and 1:12. I am sure about the time i figure it out, 9 wks of gym will be over(health for 9 wks, then back to 9 wks gym)