- advertisement -

Low carb drink ideas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommyto4, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Mommyto4

Mommyto4 Approved members

Ava's CDE recently gave us a heads up about trying to slowly transition her to low/no carb drinks instead of just having her gorge out on carb-filled drinks. She isn't a big milk drinker and water is just too plain for her. Does anyone have suggestions for picky drinkers? Thanks!

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Diet Snapple!:D

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Crystal lite is nice. We used to be able to find Jammer 10s in our market but havent seen them for a while. They come in a pouch.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We do Crystal Lite.

5. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

Minute Maid makes Fruit Falls and Just 10 juice pouches (2 carbs each) and Capri Sun makes Roarin' Waters (I think they're ~9 carbs). We also use Crystal Light (no carbs)

6. mamort

mamort Approved members

We use minute maid (just 10) 2 carbs, fruit falls 2 carbs each, crytstal lite, kool aide fizz packets (0 carbs) diet soda ( my kids never had soda until diagnosis ).

7. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

we love the sparkling waters you can get at either the dollar store or walmart ...lots of yummy flavors and carbonated so you still get your fizz without the soda's and extra sugar ...and there cheaper than soda to

8. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

Powerade Zero...B loves it

9. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

We have used Crystal Light in the past. Now Kool-Aid has new Fun Fizz tablets. They are individually wrapped and make one cup of flavored drinks that have 0 carbs. So far, they are a hit at our house.

10. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

Drinks

Sprite 0 is my son's favorite - we buy it by the case but only allow it now and then as a snack or a treat. Mostly he has plain seltzer with ice which he loves or milk.

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Soy milk, but not the heavily sweetened ones. There are some with artificial sweeteners that are almost no carb, but I don't think it's good to consume a lot of artificial sweeteners, plus those are almost too sweet.
    I also really enjoy cooking water (called "pot liquer" by the southern parts of my family) and will cook a small amount of beans in a huge amount of water so I can drink the stuff- yummy! However, nobody else seems to like this drink much, which means I usually get it all to myself.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Aside from the no-calorie drinks

- Arizona green tea (or similar) - 18 carbs/cup vs. 36 in typical drinks
    - Gatorade (about 2/3 the carbs of normal drinks)
    - Any kind of juice mixed with water or club soda

13. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

Fruit 2 0, walmart carries a gallon of iced tea made with splenda.It is made by Red Diamond.

14. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

Carbonated water, a splash of lemon juice, and ice.

DD was just on the high side.

With cousins in town visiting, one cousin just had a big glass of orange juice mixed with carbonated water, and DD wanted one too:cwds.

So, wanting to stay lower carb than oj, I sent up glasses of carbonated water mixed with at little freshly squeezed lemon juice on ice to both DD and the other cousin.

Delicious! - phew - since I really didn't want to add more carbs at this point in the night.

15. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I'm not a fan of artificial sweetener.

We use seltzer water, with natural flavor, fruit flavored herbal teas - blueberry, apple and raspberry are favorites. All no calorie, carb or chemical. ;)

Also, we have good luck mixing two onces of fruit juice with four ounces of water. It's about 6 carbs depending on the juice, and adds a good amount of flavor without too much carbs. We do dose for it.

16. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

crystal light just came out with a new drink that doesn't have any artificial sweeteners (I think it's called Crystal light power) and we've been trying those. DH likes Lipton Cold brew or diet soda(only at when out). DS likes herbal teas, we brew them and then pour it over a lot of ice. He also likes lemon/lime water, water with a splash of juice, or soy milk with a bit of chocolate sauce. All of these have very few carbs or none.
    HTH

17. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Crystal light here too..and diet snapples are good when they go on sale.

18. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We buy crystal light packets and add them to the water bottles. They're 0 carb.

19. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Poweraid Zero
    Koolaid Fizzies (just found these - thanks to someone on the boards)
    Gatorade G2 (has less carbs than Gatorade - we does or he uses when playing sports)
    Propel (use like G2)
    Crystal Light (bottles or packets)

I have also mixed G2 with water to reduce the carbs at times.

20. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

We use all the obvious ones .. Crystal Light .. the minute maid pouches with 2 carbs and want to try the Crystal Light power since I would rather have no sweetener. The kids also like Diet V8 Splash ...

Crystal