- advertisement -

Low Carb Christmas Cookie Recipe?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by aherbrand, Dec 6, 2012.

1. aherbrand

aherbrand Approved members

My son is 6 and was dx'd about three months ago. He talks about how excited he is to make Christmas cutout cookies this year. Any recipes out there that don't completely break the bank on carbs? I've been searching the web but haven't found much yet.

Thank you :)

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I don't know how to substitute Splenda in a recipe, or how it would come out, but that's something to look for if you don't mind sugar substitutes.

There's also the Recipe Exchange and Nutrition and Food boards.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My first and only attempt at this was a disaster and my kids still laughingly refer to them as "chemical cookies." Like you, in the beginning I tried to limit sugars and such but the reality is that ALL cookies, even sugar free ones, have carbs. Sugar free just adds chemicals and strange tastes, IMO, but still require just as much (and in some cases MORE) insulin due to fillers and of course flour.

My advice is to consider just making regular cookies, carefully counting up the carbs, go easy on the icing or use a simple color wash instead of icing, and bolus for it. I tried to find a photo but haven't been successful, but this talks about what I mean: http://www.livestrong.com/article/438218-how-to-decorate-cutout-cookies-with-an-egg-wash/

Maybe get some fun colors of sprinkles.

Edited to add that Pioneer Woman has some great photos here of how pretty egg washes can be on cut out cookies, she then used piped on icing but you could skip that step: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/12/my_favorite_christmas_cookies_from_childhood_and_beyond/

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've always just made regular baked items and dosed for them.;) Unless he's be happy with egg white meringues, which are fun, but not really "cookies"

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Same here.

You can trick the meringues out a bit and add mini chocolate chips or put some sprinkles on them. It only ups the carb count a bit. I try and make the cookies smaller (except for cut outs).

Being that you are so newly diagnosed, you are probably on shots and want to avoid an extra shot, correct? We used smaller cookies at snack to allow for the 15g free and we rolled them into lunch and dinner so that it was all under one shot. There were times though when she wanted extra and we said, "sure, but it means an extra shot." She was fine with that.

6. dshull

dshull Approved members

So glad someone posted about Christmas cookies! Every year we make the same kind of rolled out sugar cookies that my great grandmother used to make. No idea how many carbs are in them, probably tons. I was planning to make the same ones this year and just do some careful calculating.

My question is this - how do you keep them from picking at the dough pieces and dipping their fingers in the sugar sprinkles without being a Nazi? I can calculate how many carbs per cookie and tell my son he can't eat anything until they are done, but that would be really really hard for him. He is on injections, so I can't just bolus him as we go along. I am torn because a part of me wants to skip making them all together but that would really seem to ruin the fun.

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We just don't eat until the cookies are done. None of us. We don't lick our fingers, the bowl, the utensils, or bits of dough. It all gets baked and weighed as one batch - every single gram of it, and no one, not even the dog, gets any until it is done. I don't have to say anything to anyone about it, because that's just the rule. We can't weigh the whole batch if we don't have a whole batch, and one gram of dough can easily turn into 30 grams of dough if everyone gets one gram here or there. I don't remember when we discussed that, but I haven't had to say anything for years. I'm sure at one point we discussed as a family that we can't eat until it's all been weighed.

Oh, and we make the same exact kinds of cookies that we made before dx'd, and we make them with the same ingredients. Just now, we weigh and count carbs and bolus. :)

8. Beach bum

We had this happen the other day making gingerbread houses.
    I kept an eye open and had a general idea, but we dosed for (in our case) 25.
    Your other option is to let it ride and just do a correction at the next meal.

As I say, it's only one or two days out of the year. As for the dough, I would just say "don't eat raw dough, it's not healthy."

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

If you know that he's going to sample while working, I'd prebolus a little for that and just let him have at it, if he goes low you certainly have an easy treatment right in front of him! You are much more likely to have highs in this situation than lows, so I'd bolus once as you begin and then maybe later for actual cookies, assuming he's OK with 2 shots.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I did this ONCE, and I now have a file that I pull out every year, with carb counts for all our favorite cookie recipes. Saves me having to count year after year for our tried and true favorites. Year 1 I meticulously carb counted every single recipe, saves me a lot of trouble now.

We're not as precise as some though I think.

11. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My totally carb free suggestion: When DD was young and not yet diagnosed, we made Christmas ornaments from dough that you rolled and cut out into holiday shapes and then baked and painted. I still put them on the tree every year.

I agree with the others above who suggest using your regular recipe. You could bake them right before supper or lunch and have the cookies for dessert so the carbs are included in the meal bolus.

12. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed 9 months ago and I quit baking for a while (it was summer). It was just outside my overloaded brain to carb count baked goods. Now, I've gotten used to it. I put my recipes in a binder in page protectors and as I add things to the batter, I write the carbs with a dry erase marker on the protector. Then as things are baking, I add up the total carbs for the recipe and divide by the number of cookies made.

I like to use the page protectors and dry erase markers because then I can change recipes around, ex. include nuts one time and not another. I usually use a recipe as a base and make it my own so each time I make the same recipe it will be different, or if a different brand of choc chips has a different carb count, it is easy to change it. Off topic, but that is honestly one of my complaints about "diabetic" cookbooks. If they are good, they will list the carbs per serving, but what if we don't like peppers in our house and leave them out? No info on how that changes the carbs per serving.

ETA- you also can experiment with reducing the amount of sugar in a recipe. I had a recipe from a friend that called for 2 cups of sugar; I reduced it to 1 cup just to see how it would turn out and they were still plenty sweet. I don't remember exactly, but I think that knocked 4-5 carbs off each cookie. Just another idea.

13. Beach bum

There are also websites and programs that allow you to enter the recipe, it takes all ingredients and gives you the nutritional breakdown.

Here's one:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

They are generally pretty accurate and definitely helps give you an idea of carb counts.

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

15. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

I was wondering about this, too. I was contemplating using Stevia in the raw in the christmas cookies this year, but I've had my fair share of sugar free cookies and they sometimes leave a really weird aftertaste. This is our first D christmas, and I think I'm just going to make our cookies the same way we always have. I too have noticed that sugar free things sometimes have the same if not more carbs than the regular versions. I love the idea of writing the carb counts down for the recipes. Seeing as though I have a huge box of recipe cards, I have a ton of work ahead of me :p. And thank you for linking that recipe calculator. I had no idea that even existed. That is going to make things SO much easier!

16. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

17. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Not helpful for cut-out cookies, but I would highly recommend getting a cookie scoop. Many basic cookie recipes are so close in the flour/sugar/wet ingredient ratio that the carb factors work out to be very similar. So if you work out the math on your favorite choc. chip recipe and know that 1 scoop is 20 carbs (the medium size scoop that we have) then you can base a lot of other recipes off of that.

I have 3 sizes of scoops and find them handy for all sorts of recipes; cookies, drop biscuits, muffins, etc. It's also been helpful for dd as she becomes more independent with carb counting. She knows that *my* choc. chip cookies are around 20 CHO, and so when she's eating out she'll compare the size of a cookie and say something like "this cookie is a little smaller than what mom makes so I'll use 15 CHO instead."

For cut-out cookies I would just keep an eye on what she's picking at and SWAG a number to add on to the bolus:D.

18. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We do regular cookies. My dd never minds a shot and because she was dxd young never learned to eat raw dough.

But if you want lower carb cookies, I would lOok for flour-free recipes. I have some for chocolate or peanut butter cookies. The latter uses just pb, sugar and eggs. You could even try subbing xylitol for the sugar or part of it.

19. Beach bum

Here's one that looks good. From Disney http://family.go.com/parenting/pkg-type-1-diabetes/article-1057129-healthy-holiday-treat-recipes-t/

8 grams carbs

Chip 'n' Dale's Crunchy Nut Clusters

(Makes 24 servings)
    Ingredients

2⅔ cups sweetened flaked coconut
    2 cups pecans or 1 (6-ounce) jar macadamia nuts, chopped
    2⅔ cups white or semisweet chocolate chips
    Glaze:
    ⅓ cup white chocolate (melted with ? tablespoon vegetable shortening) or ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate

Instructions

Line 4 miniature muffin pans with candy cups; set aside. Heat the oven to 350?F. Spread the coconut and nuts on separate cookie sheets. Bake each until golden brown, about 9 minutes for the nuts and 10 minutes for the coconut, stirring every few minutes to keep them from burning. Let cool.
    Combine the toasted coconut and nuts in a medium-size bowl. Melt the chocolate chips -- white or semisweet -- in the microwave according to the package directions. Add the melted chocolate to the coconut mixture; stir well. Drop the mixture by heaping teaspoonful into the candy cups. Chill until set, or about 45 minutes.
    Melt the remaining chocolate according to the package directions. Pour the contents into a zipper bag. Snip off a small corner of the bag, then drizzle the chocolate over the clusters. Chill until the glaze is set, about 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator

20. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We also bake the same cookies as before, but I make a lot of little cookies, either by dropping smaller spoonfuls or by using smaller cookie cutter (not the mini ones, but making lots of the little gingerbread men instead of a few larger ones). DS is still young enough that he counts the cookies without thinking about their size, and it makes the batch last longer!