- advertisement -

low blood surgar

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandy092570, Aug 30, 2010.

1. mandy092570

mandy092570 Approved members

My son is type 1 diabetec and has beening low at school and dosent tell his teacher he is 5 i dont know if he know his sugar is low are what it feels like i know when he is runing low at home just by looking at him but i have had the school nurse call me and tell that my son sugar was 40 one day and 44 the next day he will run high before 12 and drop low before playtime and after playtime the doctor said to give him snack before playtime so he wouldent drop he had snack and still dropped they had to give him gluecose tabs to make sure he sugar stayed high for the bus they check him before play and after thank God for that or they would never Know is there anyway i can get him to tell the nurse at school are his teacher he is low ?

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Maybe at that age make the nurse test at certain times and to alert the teacher of lows after the nurse treats them.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Your son probably does not know he is low, so there is nothing you can do to make him tell the nurse he is low. As the pp suggested, test regularly during the day and lower the insulin when you notice a pattern of when he is low.

My son was in his teens before he consistently noticed when he was low. Even now, he goes into the 40s before he notices enough to do something about it.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I agree with the previous comments, you should have specific times he is tested, for example, before/after playtime, before lunch, before getting on the bus. Another thing that may be helpful is to let us know what insulin he is on, what are the times of specific activities (breakfast, playtime, lunch, etc) and how much insulin he is getting at those times.

You say he is high in the morning, he may be experiencing what is known as "Dawn Phenomena" where people are more resistant to insulin in the early morning hours and will have higher blood glucose levels. Have you spoken with his endo about any of the issues you are having?

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I agree with the pp. Make a scheduled testing time and log, and work with your endo to minimize those lows.

It is normal for younger kids not to know if they are low (sometimes they won't feel them), and some kids just don't feel comfortable telling someone if they don't feel too good.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son is 6, and if I relied on him to tell the nurse (or me) that he was low, he'd simply go until he keeled over on the playground. ;)

Set up regular times for him to be checked at school. He's too young to rely on him feeling his lows consistently.

7. mandy092570

mandy092570 Approved members

jacob insulin

I called the endo and he told me me to make sure he gets a snack before playtime and checked before and after playtime and before bus and the doctor changed his lunch insulin to 1 for 17grams of carbs

My son takes 1 unit of Novolog for 14grams for Breakfast
    and 1 unit for 15grams of carbs for supper and he gets 3 units of Lantus at night