- advertisement -

Low Blood Sugars Not Responding to Juice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by earruda, Mar 23, 2006.

1. earruda

earruda Approved members

I am writing because we are still having a lot of problems with my daughter's blood sugars. She is getting over a terrible GI virus (nausea and vomiting). She is eating now but keeps having low blood sugars that are not responding to carbs by mouth. We did have some success having her swish around maple syrup in her mouth. The glucagon works well. Her endo thinks that her stomache lining is having trouble absorbing sugar. Have any of you had this problem? How did you handle it?

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We have had this problem a couple of times this winter with stomach bugs. Carson is on the pump and I will turn his basal rate down to 50 or 75% when he has a stomach virus. And I won't give him any insulin for food until his blood sugars start to go up around 200. His appetite usually returns to normal before his blood sugars do. When he is feeling very sick and won't eat, we have had very good luck with mini doses of glucagon. The effects of that would only last 2 hours, though, so one night I was up every two hours giving glucagon.

How long has your daughter been fighting this bug? Sometimes Carson's sugars have been off for 2 weeks or so...