- advertisement -

Low blood sugar vs insulin shock

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bryantfam, May 30, 2012.

1. bryantfam

bryantfam Approved members

When ds feels he has gone low, we call it like it is "low blood sugar." However, at a recent minor league ball game he went low after running the bases after the game. I had him sit as soon as he told me he felt low, but the ushers were trying to get the kids off the field in a semi-regulated manner. I told them he was having a medical issue and when the further questioned I mentioned low blood sugar. I felt like they thought we wanted to have a juicy juice party on the ball field. The term "insulin shock" seems a whole lot different than " low blood sugar." What do you use to explain situations like this?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I would consider "insulin shock" to mean that too much insulin as given or food was not consumed after insulin was given.

A low blood sugar after exercise not due to too much insulin I would only call it a low, if I thought I needed a better medical term I would say that my child was having a hypoglycemic episode.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I consider insulin shock an outdated term and I never use it. It gives people the idea that something other than hypoglycemia is happening.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I am not sure why you brought up the term insulin shock, or how it relates to the incident you described. I agree with Jonah, it is an outdated term. Kind of like "brittle" diabetes.

If it were me, I would just say my child has low blood sugar and I need to give them something to bring it up.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think of insulin shock as the old term for low BG and I never use it.

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

we say low blood sugar.

But why couldn't he walk to the side of the field? We're only talking a few more feet, right?

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think the OP was looking for a way to describe the problem that makes it sound serious so others might understand. The term "insulin shock" is old and outdated but I've met people (including nurses) who had an easier time understanding it. They used it the same way I'd use "low" or more likely "serious low" or "hypoglycemic episode."

Some people also relate better to "brittle diabetes" than "type 1" - usually older people and sometimes when you want to get a general point across without arguing (if they ask "you mean brittle diabetes") I just go with the flow there - assuming the person asking I'd likely not see again, they aren't a caregiver, etc. I think "brittle" to some people means the same thing as "type 1" does to me - of course most of those people aren't caregivers of someone with type 1 and are amazed at the advances.

I think these old terms used for diabetes - mostly type 1 - are sort of interesting. The first time someone said "insulin shock" to me - I had NO idea what they meant - I thought it meant having some sort of allergic reaction to insulin - LOL!

8. Christopher

I guess for me, in that situation, I wouldn't really care if they understood, or if they could relate. Let me treat my child and get out of my way.

In general, I am not going to use "old" terms just so people can relate. It is 2012 and people need to bring themselves up to the current thinking/terminology. If not, then get out of the way and let's keep moving forward.

Yeah, I am a grumpy old man, deal with it. :p ;)

(Not directed at you Carol, I totally get what you are saying.) :cwds:

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This was kind of my reaction as well, we're talking about a pretty young child aren't we? I'm the parent, he's coming with me, end of story!

Older kid, more structured sport with more formal rules, I get it. Little league, not so much. Before anyone slams me, I know Little League is organized and has rules. But parents rules still trump at that age, IMO.

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I agree that insulin shock is an outdated term.
    When I met with Hana's teacher in the beginning of the year to go over D stuff, she said she had a brother who had T1 growing up but he died. So she was familiar with inulin shock. Yes, she did tell me this. I was dumbfounded. Had know idea what to say. Of course I was sad to hear about her brother but I'm not sure this is info you share with a parent of a student with T1 during a parent teacher conference.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've found that the best way to avoid these situations is to be proactive with the coaches and organizers of the sport. It should be understood in advance that you might need to have access to your child to test and possible treat a hypo.

12. Christopher

Reminds me of a quote by the brilliant existential philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre..."Hell is other people".

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

That's why we have to keep these terms around - so that your generation can relate - LOL! I'm probably older than you!:p

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I remember I used to babysit my niece with T1 when I was a teenager, and my sister would use the term "insulin reaction" back then...which totally confused me. Could never remember if that meant too much insulin, not enough, or high or low BG. Did of course know that when she started crying uncontrollably and shaking it meant her BG was low.

Much easier and clearer to use the terms high or low blood sugar...especially if dealing with people unfamiliar with D.

15. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I never heard any of my medical professionals use the term insulin shock and I've been a juvenile onset since 1965. We always called them insulin reactions and never low blood sugar. I still call them insulin reaction and I have to tell people my blood sugar is low if they ask what it is. Whenever I respond to something here, I always put hypo after I write insulin reaction so people know they are equal.