- advertisement -

Low blood sugar-this doesn't make any sense!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rakgyk, May 19, 2011.

1. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

My 4 year old, Gavi, is on a sliding scale for Novolog right now. If his blood sugar is under 100, no insulin. 100-200 .5 unit, 201-300 1 units. 301-400 1.5 and 400+ 2 units (he just started Novolog 2 weeks ago, the doctor is still trying to find the best dose for him). He was going under 130 at bedtime so the doctor had us reduce his dinner dose by .5 unit.
    Last night before dinner his blood sugar was 237, so we gave him .5 unit instead of 1 unit. He ate at least 1 serving, maybe a little more, of whole wheat pasta. At bedtime it dropped to 56. the only symptom was hunger, that's it. It doesn't make sense how his number would drop so drastically with such a small amount of Novolog.

Any ideas why this would happen??

2. etringali

etringali Approved members

The insulin worked faster than the food. We had a sliding scale when our son was diagnosed and we found he had big swings with it. Highly reccomend getting a carb ratio as soon as you feel comfortable carb counting. For instance, our son gets 1u Novolog per 13 carbs he ingests. That is his breakfast ratio. we have different ones for lunch and dinner.

It's been a while since we did MDI, so I'm afraid I'm not overly much help. Sorry.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I agree that it doesnt make much sense does it? It can be very frustrating at times. Is your son newly diagnosed? He may be starting his honeymoon and need less and less insulin for awhile. I agree with the previous poster. Pasta can be difficult to bolus for, whole wheat pasta is really a good choice for a meal, its low glycemic and tends to make blood sugars rise slowly and stay even instead of spiking. Was your son very active after supper last night?

4. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Perhaps he is still producing some insulin. Also, we were taught that whole grains need less coverage than refined foods. The fiber counteracts some of the carbs.

My child's only symptom for a low is hunger too. I am sure the parents who have smaller ones can help more. I am sorry you are going thru this - it sounds as if you are giving him superb care. From what I have read the little ones need such a delicate and finely tuned balance and I admire you parents so much who are handling this so wonderfully.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Is he on a longer-acting basal insulin, and if so when is he getting it? How many units?

Also what time did he get the supper bolus, and what time was bedtime?

6. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

It's a long story with his diagnosis. He tested positive for antibodies last year, and we've been monitoring his blood sugar since then. He started Lantus in January, right now he's on 2 units of Lantus in the mornings. He usually eats dinner at 6pm, sometimes closer to 6:30pm. He goes to bed by 8:30pm, so he gets tested around 8:15pm. there is usually around 2 hours between the time he eats and the time he gets tested at bedtime. The doctor said we can give him the insulin right after if we don't think he will eat right away, but I usually give him the shot right before he eats. It's just so frustrating. He still has high numbers so I don't think he's in a honeymoon right now. Tonight before dinner he was 95, so no insulin. At bedtime it only went up to 167. He had a snack and an hour after that it went up to 270. He had more carbs for dinner than he had for snack, but it rose more after the snack than it did for dinner. Go figure.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

How many carbs are in his dinners?

8. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

Always at least 35, no more than 50. Last night, when he had the low, he ate whole wheat pasta, 2 hard boiled eggs and carrots for dinner. He drank water with dinner. So he must've had about 40 carbs. and only had .5 units novolog.

9. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I'm a bit concerned about giving him 0.5 units for a bg of 100. That seems like quite a bit for a small child and also,why would the endo want him below 100 at his age. I'm not being critical, but just curious.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Let's look at that honeymoon question - how much does he weigh?

And what are his nights like? Does he reliably wake at a good number?

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

He could be starting the honeymoon phase, that's when the pancreas starts kind of working again for a while. Insulin needs can drop dramatically. Did he have any extra exercise today/tonight?

12. Lize

Lize Approved members

Couldn't it have been because it was wholewheat pasta? I think it's fibre content is much higher than white pasta - we were told to substract the fibre if more than 5g per serving.

13. meggiemoo

meggiemoo Banned

I'm wondering about rebounds here.

14. Heather(CA)

Rebounds usually result in a very high 300+ number after an undiscovered low.:cwds:

BTW, Welcome!:D

15. meggiemoo

meggiemoo Banned

Oh gosh. I think I had that backwards somehow. Guess I should hesitate before posting when I'm not sure. :eek:

Thanks for the welcome! :D

16. Heather(CA)

No way, you don't need to hesitate :) Ask away...That's what were here for:cwds: