- advertisement -

Low after dinner tonight...why?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Mar 31, 2010.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My son's carb ratio for dinner is 1:10 (Humalog), he had 6 units at dinner to cover for food only, his BG before dinner was 92. After dinner, he went outside and played basketball for about 20 mins. He came in, laid on his bed and called for me..he dropped to 63, he pretty much always feels his lows. Anyone have an opinion as to why he would have dropped so quickly? He did eat all of his dinner. Maybe because it's Springtime and he's more active? What do you suggest we do...adjust dinner carb ratio on these nice days when we know he will be outside? I'm thinking yes, but not totally sure. Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate all the input and advice.

2. rare

rare Approved members

I'd suspect increased activity. Food can play a role too. If he was active right after eating then the activity and the dinner bolus can cause a fast drop while the food is still digesting. Fiddle with the dinner ratio and see if it works. :)

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Sounds like the basketball burned some sugar:) Thats what it does to my son too. During the warm months if your son is going to be more active you will probably have to cut back on insulin and maybe give more fats and protein with the meal. Im not sure if he drinks milk with his meal. That would be good as it digests slowly. Activity is so good for our kids. It can help them be more insulin sensitive meaning they need less insulin to get the job done. You may have to adjust his basal insulin as well now that its getting nicer out. Also be aware that activity after supper may cause delayed hypos so if Vinny doesnt usually get a snack before bed it might help to keep BGs from dropping later at night

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

He actually had about 3/4 C milk with his dinner...he loves milk thank goodness! And always a snack before bed, we still do 30 g uncovered he drops so much during the night. Thanks all for the advice...