- advertisement -

Loving the MySentry

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mish

Mish Approved members

Thank you. Still, that's pretty soon, when you're trying to determine if you can afford to scrape together the $480 up front and then the$165 per month - with, of course, just a $5 fee for the benefit of the payment plan.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

As much as the cost of the mysentry is, if I had the money, I'd be ordering one.. I'm so irritated that the stupid thing cost about 1/2 of what the pump does and it doesn't do anything special, its a receiver.

I totally agree with Karla on the fact that the pump companies that are currently out there are completely happy with what they have and have no urgency to get anything new out.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Because they've become way to comfortable knowing that the competition is slim, and they are making a profit, so why bother with something new. It's almost as if they are of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it (or in this case don't improve it)" mentality.

4. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

i want one too.....

I can't believe it is so costly....I still am coveting one.

5. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

They understand the competition is slim, and remain confident of their continued profit margin because we comprise a desperate consumer group ready to pay whatever is asked.

On one hand I feel insulted and more than angry about the cost of MySentry, CGM, the pump, etc. That said, our kids need this stuff, need, not want. So, despite my anger at the reprehensible cost, I too would help create the market where the cost is deemed acceptable as a result of my purchase. Easy to say when I know it will never, ever happen.

We thought we were moving to the pump and CGM. Now CGM is only going to happen if I pay out of pocket (in full), and we're still waiting for final decision on the pump. If it isn't the manufacturing company, it's the insurance co holding parents of CWD hostage. There are plenty of families out there who'd love and want to pump and / or CGM, so part of me wishes they'd be more innovative with cost if not design.

Hard to believe a baby monitor on steroids is worth nearly $3K

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It's only about 1/5 of a new car...and the car will last longer IMO. They really don't seem to get it that we're already paying them an arm and a leg for a child's health and don't have too many limbs to spare. We've liked our Medtronic pump and CGM, but I will tell you when our four years are up, we will be looking at every options carefully because the MySentry release shows just how much Medtronic cares about money and how little about its client base's difficulties with their product. If the pump could be heard as it should be, would there be a desire for this? Yes, but mostly for those with small tykes. Medtronic should be the company everyone swarms to, but instead they've alienated formerly satisfied customers.

7. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Can't disagree with this at all. Right now, Medtronic best meets what we're looking for, and a lot of that is a result of the amount and types of research they're involved in. However, when I mentioned to our friend who works for Medtronic just how much the start up costs for everything come to, even he was appalled.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

Personal view here. IMO sadly part of the huge costs is insurance. Because so many of us never see the full cost of stuff the price is driven by what the ins. co. will pay. I personally ask for the costs of medical stuff-appointments, tests, equipment, and most of the time the person I am asking responds with-"Why do you care, insurance is covering this". Many costs are legitimate in the medical field, many are not. This is true in many areas-computers, internet, phone,cable services come to mind currently. Just my two cents. :eek:ali

9. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Apparently MM has their finger on the pulse of what parents will do for peace of mind and some more sleep. $$$$ $3000

What I wouldn't pay for safety and sleep?

So disappointed in this move by MM.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  10. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

I will not look a gift horse in the mouth. I am thankful this product exists and cannot wait for it to arrive. With that said, I am disappointed in insurance companies that would rather pay tens of thousands of dollars for hospital stays but won't cover this device, that though pricey, would save $$$ (and maybe a life) from that hospital visit. Maybe I am still seeing things through rose-colored glasses as Kyle has not had D for even 3 years yet.

11. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I understand why MM has priced it as it has. I like to think that it's because they have to price their products in a way that allows them to recoup their substantial development and regulatory costs, invest in future product development and earn enough of a profit to remain a healthy company. Still, I'm sure that the "What is the price of sleep?" question came up and almost certainly caused a premium price adjustment.

Pricing a product new to the market is not an exact science, but it will almost always be on the highest end because they are targeting early-adopters in a cash market, which traditionally will fork over whatever it takes to get the product.

All that said, if the blasted pump would alarm louder then I'm not 100% certain we would even need it. We would probably WANT it...but might not need it.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I think they'd make far more money on this product if they priced it lower because there are more people that could afford it. I could certaintly figure out how to afford something that was 1,000, but pushing 3,000, Its really difficult. Its completely unfair of MM to say parents would do anything for peace of mind. Yes, I would, but because I can't afford this doesn't mean I don't love my child less than those that are able to get it. 3k is just not something that I am able to do, no matter how I look at it, or how I try to figure out HOW to afford it, we don't have credit cards, and after 2 years of my husband being out of work and FINALLY going back (and looking at another lay off in a few short weeks) I can't justify the cost right now, we're busy trying to catch up on the last of the bills so when lay offs come again we won't be behind, and that makes me feel incredibly guilty. I would do anything for my child. So for now, between my husband and I we check her on average of 3 times a night.

For those that do have this I'm glad its working so well for you. Its exciting to hear that the alarms are much louder and its actually doing what its suppose to. I'm hoping by next pump shopping, if we do decide to go with MM again, that this will be a 'package' deal that we can get through insurance with a new pump and cgms. :cwds:

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The first time we saw a CGM system was at a Diabetes Expo last April. I just about dropped the sensor in shock as I was told the price. The person in the booth told me the above almost verbatim. When we switched to the pump, I asked a few people how much they though it cost. EVERY one guessed about $1000 and stared at me in shock when I told them the actual price.

It's pretty ironic to read the older threads on this forums anticipating the release of MySentry. One hopes that it won't be overpriced at $300. $3000 was beyond what any of us anticipated.

I hope Medtronic is reading all of our complaints and concerns and might consider repricing at a reasonable level.

14. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

At this point, I just wish Reann's insurance would cover a CGMS. They won't because she has never been hospitalized for a low bg--only in DKA. However , if and when she becomes pregnant, then the insurance will cover it.

15. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I think the reason they price it so high is so that when it eventually is covered by insurance they will get paid a reasonable amount.

They tell insurance "the price is $3000". Insurance says "nope, we'll do $1200."

Then they get whatever percentage insurance pays and hope the customer actually pays their bill for the remaining percentage of the copay that they asked to make payments on.