- advertisement -

Loving the MySentry

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Jan 29, 2012.

1. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We love our Mysentry as well ... I sleep much better ... and we also find the range much better than posted ...

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That's a big design flaw in the Guardian too. If the alarm condition corrects itself (such as out of signal range temporarily, then back in range), the alarm keeps on going until manually cleared even though it's back in range. Or if BG goes below threshold for one reading then heads back above the low threshold, it keeps alarming "low SG" even if the BG is high.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It was our Guardian unit that alarmed after the signal had been refound. I don't remember the pump. I find a lot doesn't register well in the wee hours of the night.:rolleyes: But, last night, we had a straight line and sleep until she rolled on the transmitter about 5:30 a.m. and got a false low reading.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

If the FDA was so worried about 'clearing or ignoring alarms" then why didn't they make a pump with alarms that were loud enough to be heard? My child sleeps through every alarm. Every one.

5. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Yes, I agree, and there's also a technology called "volume control." You cannot adjust the volume of the alarms, and this is ridiculous. :mad:

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Okay that drives me crazy also the part where if you have it snoozed for 3 hours for a high when it comes off the snooze it still alarms for previous events even though they may be in range then.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

That "volume control" business, such scary, scary, fda approval needed, stuff! ;)

I'm not even sure how a person with high frequency hearing loss can hear the alarms at all, even at their current volume. To me, THAT is more frightening.
    Which is why the my sentry is such a good device on so many fronts, not just for children, but for people who can't otherwise hear the alarms.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My mother-in-law cannot hear the alarms. At all. I often come home from work to find his pump and Guardian wailing while the kids blissfully ignore it and she is blissfully unaware. It makes me want to throw things.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Have you tried the vibrate function? I think that the pump vibrating on a surface is actually noisier than the beeping, particularly if someone struggles to hear high frequencies.

10. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

My husband mostly can not hear the alarms either, even if she's standing right next to him. The room has to be dead silent for him to hear the alarm.

It's been a problem lately because dd is just canceling alarms without actually looking at the pump, and someone has to stop her and ask what the alarm was about. Makes it difficult to catch that happening if you can't hear the alarms in the first place. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty ticked about the whole Mysentry fiasco anyway. It took MM several years to roll out a product that we were continually being told was months away, then when it finally comes out it costs far more than the majority of users can afford. I'm also irritated about submitting for ins coverage, why should my ins company (that I pay 100% out of pocket every month for, plus our huge freakin' deductible) have to pay for something that I consider to be a design flaw in the original product?

I've been a vocal supporter of MM products up to this point both IRL and on CWD. I love our CGM and pump, and have recommended MM to many families at our local support group, etc. But this MySentry business just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm truly conflicted about MM right now.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

This expresses perfectly how I feel. I will never have access to the Revel anyway since I don't live in the US, so the MySentry would never work for me. But even if it did, there is no way I could afford it. I think MM have made a big mistake with the pricing. I honestly think that their revenue from the product would actually be a lot higher if the price was a lot lower.

12. hawkeyegirl

I am right there with ya, sister.

I have always really liked our rep, but I was quite annoyed by her e-mail to me about the product. It was clearly the "official" spin, but it essentially read like MySentry is the best product ever, and any parent who loves their child and wants to keep them safe at night would purchase it. Like everyone has an extra 2400 bones laying around for a glorified baby monitor. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm pretty mad. But what is my other option? Animas and Insulet STILL aren't integrated with CGM, and for us, neither pump is as attractive as MM's.

The lack of real competition in this market has brought innovation to a complete standstill.

13. Mish

Mish Approved members

yes, yes and yes. While I'm not ready to announce a conspiracy, I have a strong suspicion that we might see something from one of the other companies soon which is why MM was prompted to finally get this thing to market. A product,mind you, that has been "almost ready" for almost as long as my child has had diabetes.

14. hawkeyegirl

Yeah, I'll go ahead and announce a conspiracy. It is much more ecnomical for MM to keep selling the same pump over and over than for them to put anything new out one second before they have to. The Veo is just a Revel with the LGS. The Revel is just a 522 with the Guardian features and MySentry capability. The 522 is just the pump before that, but with CGM integrated. Basically we're all still using the same MM pump that pumpers 10 years ago used, with a few minor bells and whistles added every few years.

From all reports, the next Animas pump is the same as the Ping, plus CGM, minus the remote. And the next Omnipod will just have the addition of CGM. So even with the NEXT generation of the competitors' pumps, MM will still be ahead, technology-wise. (If you count low glucose suspend as an advance, which I barely do.)

Reports are that the next gen CGM systems from Dexcom and MM are marginally more accurate than the current systems, but we're talking about a few percentage points difference for both. Frankly, I doubt I'd even notice if our CGM went from an 18% margin of error to a 14% margin of error.

Where is the freaking innovation?! My iPod is light-years ahead of all of this stuff, and they put a new one of those out every year. Yeah, yeah, yeah, FDA, blah, blah, blah. I think it plays a role, but what plays more of a role is that there is no damn competition out there, and all three pump companies appear to be (1) semi-incompetent and (2) satisfied with their current market share.

I'm irritated, can you tell? :rolleyes:

15. bisous

bisous Approved members

Interesting that so many are upset about the MySentry. In my little corner of the world all the real life PWD are so excited about it.

Enough that I'm kind of looking into "reactivating" our CGMS system. If I can really read his BG all over the house on a big bright screen with alarms it might be worth the money to me.

I think if this thing works as well as MM says it does, it should absolutely be available to everyone though.

Hopefully this is the iceberg tip of the technology that will keep all of our kids a lot safer. I'm toying with the idea of getting this system, knowing that I will likely pay out of pocket. Maybe my "research" will help fund better, more affordable systems and a bunch of data to justify its use for many children--even those who can't pay OOP!

16. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

Here's a copy of an email I just sent to our MM Rep, who had asked for feedback:

We absolutely love the MySentry! I feel like we're all getting a MUCH better night's sleep!

Here's a short list of pros and cons from my perspective.

Pros:

• With a baby monitor, we were hearing everything we didn't want to hear (breathing, coughing, etc.) and not always hearing the alarms that we were trying to hear. Typically we didn't hear them until they had turned into a siren. With MySentry, we're confident that we'll hear every alarm from the start. Even with the volume at its lowest setting, it always wakes us up!
    • I didn't think that seeing the CGM graph would be necessary. However, I've found that it's my favorite view. Whenever I happen to wake up during the night and am curious about how he's doing, all I need to do is roll over and look at the graph. I can even watch it and predict when he's going to hit a threshold.
    • I fully expect that now that we're hearing and seeing every alarm, we're going to be able to actually narrow our nightly glucose targets (i.e. the upper and lower thresholds) and obtain a better A1C over time.
    • Good coverage from the outpost. It's covering his bedroom and our living room at this point.
    Cons:

• The ridiculous price! Seriously, I think you're dramatically limiting an already limited market. Many of the parents utilizing CGM to care for their children are struggling to pay for the supplies, let along a device like this.
    • I really wish that we could clear alarms on the pump from the MySentry. At the same time, I can understand that this would probably mean additional FDA scrutiny, due to a remote device now controlling the pump.
    • Did I mention the price? Compare this to the initial $1000 price tag of the CGM. $3K for a receiver?
    • The MySentry display is FAR too bright, even at it's lowest setting. Were these actually tested with real parents trying sleep next to these things? Seriously, I'm looking to purchase some tinted window film to try to dim the display even further. It's a minor issue, but I'm really surprised this wasn't caught during testing.
    • Finally, there's the ridiculous price tag, but I think I covered that.

Wish List (from me and others):

• Ability to clear pump alarms from MySentry
    • Support for multiple kids/pumps
    • Support for multiple outposts (i.e. whole house coverage for younger children)
    • Rechargeable battery power for the main unit, which would allow parents to carry it from room to room.
    • A reasonable price tag (i.e. under $1K)

I hope that helps. Again, we've only been using it for about a week and a half, but those are my initial thoughts.

17. Mish

Mish Approved members

I was just on the phone with MM and according to the rep I spoke with the price is set to increase to $3000 soon, and that the $2400 is a "limited time offer". :rolleyes:

If we already covered this, I apologize.

18. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

You know, in spite of my irritation, I still want one:eek::p I'm also really glad that the user's that have reported back here are happy with it. I just feel like MM is shooting fish in a barrel;) And I'm not cool with that.

Where are we going to go when our warranty is up in a year? Nowhere, and MM knows that. The ??? problem with dex is a deal-breaker for me, and dd wouldn't be happy sporting around another device anyway.

People have been complaining all along about the lack of volume adjustment, they could have fixed it on the Revel. They knew it was a problem, and they did NOTHING. Oh sure, they gave us predictive alerts and smaller basal increments, and a half-handful of other settings, but they ignored the big, fat elephant in the middle of the room. :rolleyes: Instead they baited us with a parent monitor that took just about forever to come to market.

Then their advertising plays on our worst fear.."You would do anything to avoid dangerous nighttime lows" and "It can be especially helpful for monitoring children overnight, when they are most vulnerable" (quotes direct from MM website, bold is mine) and price it outside the financial reach of many families.

It just doesn't sit well with me.

19. Mish

Mish Approved members

I agree. And I agree, where else do we go? Nowhere. And they know this.

20. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

Medtronic on the phone will say the price will increase soon to $3000.00. But I had confirmation last night from someone high up in the company the $2400 will stay until April 30