- advertisement -

Loving the MySentry

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brensdad, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Once we got it all calibrated correctly and the outpost hooked up, it's been a real blessing. Right now, Emma's out in the back yard playing and the MySentry has a very strong signal. The alarms are nice and loud and Miss Emma can run all around the house and play without us stopping her every 30 minutes to look at her CGMS.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

So you're finding that she doesn't really have to be within 6 feet of the outpost for it to transmit?

I just wish it was not $2400. :(

3. Brensdad

She has to be within 6 feet when you set it up the first time, and then you leave the Outpost in one spot (we put it in her bedroom, which is upstairs) and we move the MySentry anywhere that we're going to be, and it picks up a very strong signal from the Outpost from all over the house, including the back yard.

4. hawkeyegirl

Wow. I did not realize that. MM makes it sound like the outpost won't pick up the signal unless the child is within 6 feet.

I may have to put in the effort to fight for insurance coverage. It sounds really nice.

5. Brensdad

It really is pretty awesome. The documentation that comes with it is awful, but I managed to figure it out.

The payment plan they offer is pretty reasonable other than the $500 or so required up-front. I just can't seem to get around the fact that I just spent $2400 because MM doesn't make their alarms loud enough to begin with.

Once I read this post on my wife's blog, I knew I would spend whatever I had to in order to get this device.

http://www.waytoosweet.blogspot.com/2012/01/nightmare-on-d-street.html

6. hawkeyegirl

I am admittedly bitter about this very thing. We have a Guardian that we put next to a baby monitor at night, but it's absurd that there is not a cheaper fix for this problem.

7. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

I couldn't agree more. We've had ours for a week and I can't believe how much better we're all sleeping! I still think the price is completely ridiculous, but there's no turning back now!

8. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

P.S. - We're also finding good coverage over a large portion of the house.

9. MelStan

MelStan Member

My daughter would almost certainly still be alive, and our lives wouldn't have been ruined if these devices weren't so ridiculously expensive.

We looked into getting her a CGMS a year or two before she died, but it was going to cost $500 a month, which we couldn't afford.
    There isn't a word in the English language to describe how this makes me feel. 'Bitter' doesn't even come close.
    Hey, as long as the companies make money though...

10. hawkeyegirl

I'm sorry, Mel. EVERY family should have access to CGM technology, I agree. It is so unfair. :(

11. MelStan

MelStan Member

Sorry Nick, that was a pretty unthinking (as usual) post on my behalf :eek: I need to add that I am VERY happy that the MySentry is working so well for you guys!! Your family so deserves a good and positive event for a change :)

Karla..thanks :cwds:

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Mel, you do not need to apologize for anything. I think all of us here understand where you are coming from.
    CGM technology should not have to be a luxury only some can afford. It should be easily available for all to use and benefit from.

Brensdad, glad it's working well for you. I just wish that kind of $$ isn't required just because alarms aren't made loud enough.

13. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

We have had the mySentry almost a week and really do appreciate all the times I now don't have to ask the dreaded, "What's your BG?" question. I am still playing with the pump alarms as now I realize how irritating the frequent alarms would be to him if he really did hear half of them, i.e. fall rate, low predicted & low BG all on top of each other. Why MM did not allow to clear the pump alarm from the monitor is a mystery to me. The last couple nights I silenced the alarms on the pump b/c they were irriating once the low was treated but he'd not come up yet.

The alarms are definitely very loud from anywhere in the house. I also put the outpost upstairs in my son's bedroom, have moved the monitor from downstairs master bedroom to kitchen to living room w/ the signal being picked up fine. I am grateful that this device made it to market in hopes that it opens the door to other products we all know would enhance living with diabetes.

14. Brensdad

No worries Mel. I understand completely.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

is the actual part that reads out have to be plugged in, or can you just pick it up and move it?

Sounds awesome, I'm still trying to figure out how to get my hands on one.. we have excellent insurance coverage, but not sure they'd take this on.

16. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Our rep told me that it is for safety, so that the parents don't turn off the alarms in their sleep like some do alarm clocks. I think it makes sense for highs or lows, but there have been times I've pulled myself out of bed to discover the alarm was for a Weak Signal that has already been refound but still alarming. Those I resent getting up for!

17. hawkeyegirl

Yeah, bullcrap. Kids could do this right on the pump. And adults could do it on their own pump. They just don't have the technology yet.

ETA: I wasn't doubting that your rep said this to you. Just rolling my eyes at their spin on it. Suuuuure it's a safety feature. Just the way Animas' dialing up the dose is a safety feature.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  18. selketine

selketine Approved members

Somehow I feel compelled to note that our dear old Navigator picked him up all over the house and outside in the yard and didn't require anything but the receiver it came with. So the technology is there - but the transmitter was big.

Absolutely that. They should hand these out with your insulin bottles when you are diagnosed.

19. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

its awesome and the range is much better then the 6ft they say. As far as clearing alarms on the monitor. The FDA wouldn't allow it because you could clear the alarm on the monitor and ignore the pump and the results could be bad.

20. hawkeyegirl

Yeah, I'm still not buying that FDA story. My kid could clear the alarm on his pump and the results could be bad.