- advertisement -

Loved our 504 meeting today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by GaPeach, Aug 23, 2012.

1. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

DD moved to the high school this year. We had a 504 in elementary and middle school. At the elementary school it was a mini-battle, not due to administration but rather the school system's rules and regs. In middle school, no issues because the 504 followed her from elementary and they willingly added a provision for a cell phone.

Today was our high school 504. As the meeting began, the asst. principal opened by saying, "Teachers some of the things we will cover are different from previous students you have had because of a new state law..."

Hooray for ADA and the Safe in School Legislation.

The teachers asked what they could do specifically for our DD. As I explained that DD is hesitant to interrupt class to manage a low blood sugar, I slid into the conversation that - "she should know it is okay to advocate for herself as she was present for the House Committee hearing on the new bill and was present as Gov. Deal signed the bill into law.":)

We have to meet again in the spring because the administration is unclear as to how to allow for accommodations for End of Course Tests in case of high/low blood sugar issue preventing testing. They are not against it - they simply do not know how to handle it. She has always had accommodations for standardized testing. In came in handy a couple of times.

Also, the asst. principal is going to check into possible modifications to the school system policy regarding exam exemptions for 5 or less absences. Current policy is that if you check in late or check out a few minutes early for an afternoon appointment it counts as an absence in all classes all day for exemption purposes. I stated that the policy should be applied per class period and not per day.

Never hurts to challenge the policies if you do so in a respectful manner.

2. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

I was so excited about our new state law. It makes it so much easier for our kids. I hope our 504 goes well too.
    That's so neat your dd was there when they signed the new law! Love the pic in your signature line.

3. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

Elissa, could you post some more info. on the state law? I don't frequent here as much as I should and I would love to know more about it.

I am your neighboring state to the north and would love to know more1

Thanks!

4. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

5. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Awesome - so good to hear positive reports! Maybe one of these days everyone will "get it"