- advertisement -

Lousy shift - Can I vent?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Gaia, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Last nights shift started out pretty good. At 6:30 I was ahead of the game, all my residents being washed, changed ect aside from the 3 that like to be washed before they go to bed. These 3 are pretty independent so I knew Id have them done in no time. I had half my computer work done, which that early in the night was a miracle in itself. Then one of the CNAs on the other wing went home sick. It was a choice between me & 1 other girl going over to cover because of seniority. "Z" hadnt worked 2nd shift on that wing & I had so I said I would go over but 2 of he girls asked that Id stay. They told me later it was because even though Im still retraining, I had no problem doing what needed to be done & helping the other CNAs when they needed it. ("Z" hardly had anything done, including leaving 1 resident on a near empty O2 tank.) Well, that felt good! (its nice to be 'wanted', especially in a very 'cliquy' place like this). Ok so I go check on the residents "Z" had so I could see what was left to be done......Just about EVERYTHING!! 3 of her residents needed to be changed and it was obvious that they had been sitting in it awhile. That alone made me mad. Thats bedsores just waiting to happen. Practically nothing on the computer was complete. She came over at end of shift and asked how it went. I just looked at her grrrrrrrrrr. Thank God the other 2 girls jumped in to help me or I would have been there much later than the 45 min over shift that I already was.

Right before I left, a resident rang and when I went in, she said she was wet. Ok no biggie, I changed her. Then I felt like my heart was gonna break. She says to me "You didnt get mad & yell at me" :eek::eek::eek: WHAT?????? She said 1 of the girls gets mad & yells when she wets! I told her that was why she wears the Attends, that accidents happen, its no big deal but that NO-ONE should be yelling at her for that. Heck, no-one should be yelling at her at all! She didnt want to tell me who & I told her that was ok but she had to tell the nurse about it. I also went right to the charge nurse & told her what was said. She was NOT happy! I hope they find out who it is because thats abuse and I wont ignore that.

So, in your opinions, did I do the right thing? Would you have done anything different?

Thanks for letting me vent. I know it doesnt seem like much, bad shifts happen. That last part just took the cake & I needed to b**ch & moan. Sorry for the long post. :eek:

2. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I say thank goodness it happened that you were there and able to find out what was going on. I hope they get to the bottom of it quickly.

3. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

I just want to say that you sound like a very special person and that resident was very lucky you were there. You absolutely did the right thing by telling the charge nurse. It is not their fault if they wet themselves and should not be yelled at because of it.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

You did the right thing and I want you taking care of me if i am ever in that situation. You sound wonderful.:DAli

5. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

OMG YES you did the right thing!!

I am also the type of person that if I see that something is being done that is wrong I will bring it to someone's attention.

Just ask my STBX LOL :D

You very much did the right thing no resident should ever be yelled at for wetting themselves..

6. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

If you ever want to move to Iowa I would love for you to be the one to take care of my g'ma. She is in a nursing home and I have had to have many meetings about her care. She goes to dialysis 3 times a week and they HATE it.

She also has diabetes and when she goes low they tell her she is actually fine. She actually had one of the workers tell her "my g'ma used to go low and she looked different than you do". WTH is that about? She has been so low the ambulance had to come because the home did not have any glucogon for her.

She will be 86 this year and also has accidents. Some the aides are very very good to her but some of the traveling ones are down right awful.

Kuddos to you for treating her with the respect that she deserves.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

You definitely did the right thing:cwds:
    What a caring job you have, although it seems like a lot to do. But it comes across that you do enjoy it and that's wonderful.
    I hope the yeller will get yelled back at:D (ignore the bad grammar:rolleyes:)

8. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

First of all I want to thank you for working in a nursing home like this. I have had many relatives in NHs , including my parents, my MIL and lastly my husband. My husband was in two different homes and in the last one the nurses and CNAs were very special to him. (It helped that he was one of their favorites). Then on to your question, You did absolutely the right thing. None of these residents should ever be yelled at when they do something they can't control. In the last few months of his life, my husband had more things go wrong. He would get very mad and call the staff every name in the book and then some. They never yelled at him, but occasionally would call me and ask me to come up--I could usually calm him down. I didn't mean to steal this thread, but people like you who work in NHs and take really good care of the residents mean a lot to me. (I am sitting here crying as I type this) Thank you again for all you do for our senior citizens who need help.

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Yes, yes, yes, you did the right thing!
    Sorry you got stuck with someone else's work, but maybe it was meant to happen because now the truth is out.

My FIL died last year after some time in nursing care and let me tell you, I am so grateful for people like you.

10. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Thanks for the sweet words. One of my SIL's says I have to be an angel to this job. Well, Im far from an angel. I just like to help people. A resident had a visitor who said to me "I dont know how you do it". Easy, I just imagine they are a family member of mine and how would I want them to be treated? These men & women ( most of them anyway - we have one girl in her 20's w/ a heart condition) are in their 80's, 90's & some 100 or older! Theyve lived a long life taking care of thier spouses & families. Now its time someone takes care of them. Thats just the way I see it. My family is actually discussing putting my grandfather in a home because he's getting harder to take care of. I tried to tell them exactly what its like so they're well informed but no decision has been made. Im kind of hoping they bring him up here ( he's in Philly) so I can help keep an eye on him.

Getting stuck w/ someone else's work unfortunatly happens alot but what are you gonna do. Its just aggravating when it happens because they havent done anything rather than due to them leaving sick or shifting to a different wing. Im lucky in the fact that there are quite a few co-workers have no problem helping each other when we're short or 1 of us is running behind.

Thanks again for letting me vent!

11. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Good job! I definatly think reporting this type of behavior was in order! I hope they figure out who it is and remedy it.

Bravo to you for doing the kind of work you do! After a shift like that I would be wanting to vent too!

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Yes, you definitely did the right thing. Working with aids like "Z" drives me nuts, and unfortunately, they seem to be the rule more than the exception.

I had one aid tell me I better go drug my patient more, he's getting antsy. I got him up to the bathroom. Volia, back in bed and asleep in minutes. I was pretty upset with the aid over that.

There's another aid I work with who just goes and falls asleep and the nurses are all busy doing his work and our own.

You should come work with me. We're hiring.

13. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Drug him more? What a jerk! Sometimes all it takes is a couple minutes to find out whats wrong and fix it. Sometimes all they need is someone to listen. One resident is a retired Marine. I love listening to his stories when he's having a good day. These people could teach our generation so much if only we'd listen. One lady is 105! I would love to sit and listen to how she grew up. I think it'd be facinating!

LOL I would but I just started back at the home on the 23rd of February and I dont think we live in the same area. But it sounds as if you are a CNA or a nurse so you understand. Most of the time its rewarding helping others. Some days you walk out mumbling "I love my job. I LOVE MY JOB!!" :D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  14. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I think it was a hard shift for you but things happen for a reason and you were meant to be there to help that woman and find who has been yelling at her .. how sad .. that is just awful ... I hope they find out who it was!!

Crystal

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You definitely did the right thing.

Thank you for being such a compassionate caregiver. My grandfather is 92 and bed/wheelchair bound and is in a full care facility. His day nurses are wonderful, but the night ones are less than. What makes me the saddest is that my grandfather who is a kind person, and who was once a force to be reckoned with if you served him any attitude is AFRAID of the night nurses. He said they are mean, make you sit for long periods of time if you've soiled yourself and yell at you for doing it.

So, again, thank you for treating your patients as if you were treating a family member, I appreciate it:cwds:

16. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

You need to report this if you havent already!! Start w/ the charge nurse and Social Services. Work your way up until you get results. Dont take any cr*p!! This is definately abuse and it wont stop until someone stops it. In our home, every scratch bump or bruise is reported and checked. Ask about any incident reports. Have his doctor come in and check him out. I hope this gets resolved for you. NOONE deserves to be treated this way.

And thanks! :cwds: