- advertisement -

Lots of stomach site failures...what should we try now?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KRenee, Feb 5, 2013.

1. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Stomach sites fail 50 to 70% of the time. Some are kinked when removed, but many are not. It shouldn't be scar tissue since she prefers hip sites and rarely uses stomach. Many times the insertion is very painful. She doesn't have a lot of fat. Is she hitting muscle?

We have quicksets. Would an angled set work better? Angled sets are manual insert, right?

Any other ideas?

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Not all angled are manual. You can do inset 30s which are angled and have an inserter just like an inset. I doubt if she's hitting muscle. Even the leanest kids should have no trouble - but an angled set might help.
    You could also try thighs.

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My son is thin so the endo says not to do belly sites. We do butt, arm, and leg.
    We use straight sets for butt and arm and angled for leg.

4. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

We have found Mios work better than quicksets. We never have success with the bottom/hip area. We are limited to the stomach and the arms. We get some Mios in the 18" tube and some in the longer 24" (?) to reach comfortably to the arm.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We do outer butt/lower hip area... sort of so they just show below the pantyline on the leg....:cwds:

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think an angled set might help. We use Silhouettes, and insert them manually, and they really almost never, ever fail for us. He wears them on his stomach exclusively.

7. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Thanks all! I ordered a couple of Silhouettes and Mios to try. Hope they work better.